Brew In A Bag Question

I’m really interested in doing some All Grain brews using the “Brew in a Bag” method in my apartment, since I have no room for my all grain equipment. Does anyone have any recipes for an all grain brew in a bag?

I think I’m going to try the CDA recipe on the latest Brewing TV episode.

I watched the episode yesterday and from what I gather, you can make any all grain recipe with BIAB.

Confirmed, you can brew regular all-grain recipes BIAB (I do!).

Anyone have any BIAB recipes they are willing to share?

I NEED all grain beer in my fridge, ASAP!

I would greatly appreciate it.

I think the point MullerBrau and Rifester were making is that you can use any AG recipe with BIAB. There are literally millions of recipes out on the net. I like
http://www.hopville.com
and

. What I usually do when making a recipe is pick a favorite brew from a brewpub and try to figure out how to recreate it.

Or if you have a beer you really like you can use google to find a clone. For example, my buddy’s favorite beer is Mac & Jack’s African Amber Ale, so I googled “Mac & Jack’s African Amber Ale Clone”, which gave me a few recipes to try. I tweaked one based on what I’ve learned about brewing, and it turned out a great amber ale.

I think most people lose a little efficiency with BIAB, so you might up the grain bill by 10%.

Good luck!

You can use beersmith which has a BIAB option. That is what Im using
and it works great. Im brewing founders oatmeal stout this week :slight_smile: from
BYO clone recipie.

Sweet. Thanks for the advice!

[quote=“Ray.Ramirez”]Anyone have any BIAB recipes they are willing to share?

I NEED all grain beer in my fridge, ASAP!

I would greatly appreciate it.[/quote]

Pick [i][u]ANY[/u][/i] all grain recipe…maybe boost the grain bill a bit if you expect lower conversion. Check the beer recipe exchange section for recipes.

I do frequent BIAB on smaller scales (mostly for testing out new recipes I make or trying new styles or recipes from online that I’m unfamiliar with) on the one and two-gallon batch level.

Just be careful with higher grain bills — they can be a little bit more challenging, but certainly doable with the right kettle and bag size.

I’ve brewed all-grain in an apartment before. Before going into BIAB, do you have a gas or electric stove? If you have gas, you can brew all-grain. You’ll need a bigger pot, any typical cooler and a few other things and you’ll be good to go. Let me know if you want more info.

I do AG mashes in a 5 gallon round cooler and boil on the stove in a 5 gallon pot, exclusively. There’s really no need to BIAB, IMO.

Pics and text here:

:cheers:

[quote=“StormyBrew”]There’s really no need to BIAB, IMO.[/quote] Lots of reasons to use MIAB. How about when your MT is in use and you want to make something else at the same time? Or when you want to make something on the stove and don’t want to lug the 30-gal cooler into the kitchen (never mind the overkill)? Or just want to quickly make a batch of beer with as little fuss as possiblel? None of these might fit your situation, but I’ve had them all happen to me at one time or another. MIAB is just another tool in the arsenal and it’s a great way to help extract brewers move into AG for only the price of the nylon bags.

[quote=“StormyBrew”]I do AG mashes in a 5 gallon round cooler and boil on the stove in a 5 gallon pot, exclusively. There’s really no need to BIAB, IMO.

Pics and text here:

:cheers: [/quote]

Looks pretty slick. I like the use of the strainer bag instead of a copper manifold. What kind of efficiency are you getting? I would assume pretty good, since you can get a good grind without the fear of a stuck sparge.

[quote=“CliffordBrewing”][quote=“StormyBrew”]I do AG mashes in a 5 gallon round cooler and boil on the stove in a 5 gallon pot, exclusively. There’s really no need to BIAB, IMO.

Pics and text here:

Looks pretty slick. I like the use of the strainer bag instead of a copper manifold. What kind of efficiency are you getting? I would assume pretty good, since you can get a good grind without the fear of a stuck sparge.[/quote]

LOL, there is no word for “stuck sparge” in my beer language. Most recently: 79% on my witbeir; 84% on my mexican lager; 74% on my amber ale; 67% (poor grind) on my 90IPA.
:cheers:

That’s awesome. I was going to make a manifold for my buddy who’s new to brewing. I might just give him mine and get a couple of strainer bags for myself… 8)

[quote=“StormyBrew”]I do AG mashes in a 5 gallon round cooler and boil on the stove in a 5 gallon pot, exclusively. There’s really no need to BIAB, IMO.

Pics and text here:

I may be confused here, but isn’t that a “bag” of grain in your cooler? So wouldn’t that be “Brewing In A Bag”? Just wondering, because I BIAB in a large pot. I just don’t transfer to a cooler. Not sure why I would. I can keep a constant heat by sticking the pot in the oven. So I save myself the need for a cooler.

EDITED: lots-o-typos!

I’ve been BIAB’ing for a little less than a year now and can consistently hit between 72%-78%. I’ve been lower at about 69% and have been as high as about 82%. No need to up the grain bill. If anything, you can get better efficiency than a lot of brewers get with traditional brewing with fly or batch sparging.

And yes, you can brew pretty much any beer you want with BIAB. The only limitation is how much grain your setup can hold. Find that limit and work with it. If you want to make a stronger beer either cut the batch size down to maybe 3 or 4 gallons or just add some extract to the boil to up your gravity. That’s technically partial mashing, but whatever. It’s still brewing! :cheers:

[quote=“dobe12”]I may be confused here, but isn’t that a “bag” of grain in your cooler? So wouldn’t that be “Brewing In A Bag”?[/quote]You’re correct - I didn’t go to the link, but that is clearly MIAB (no idea where “BIAB” came from since the bag is only used for the mash) using a cooler to keep temps constant.

HAHAHA! I’ve seen you post that “MIAB” several times now. You’re really making a push to get that mainstream, huh? It does make sense though. I do ‘HIAB’ (hop in a bag).

I get it! I was thinking of going to BIAB, but MIAB is making sense. Less fuss to keep mash temp up using a cooler. Nice idea!