Brew Files Episode 74 - Can Denny Brew?

https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/brew-files-episode-74-can-denny-brew

A few episodes back - Denny got to taste Drew’s beer and now the tables are turned! Drew tastes and discusses with Denny two of his beers - A Belgian Golden Strong and a Veterans’ Blend IPA. Are they any good? What could be changed and what the heck is that bottle Denny used to ship his beers?!?

@denny During the conversation you state that you target the highest temperature the beer has reached during fermentation for figuring out co2 and Drew casually says “obviously”. Could you explain this more?
As a bottler I always thought this temperature was at the time of bottling. As if the bottle is a barometer and I need to calculate at the moment because I’m creating a sealed environment.

That’s a common misconception and one it took me a lot time to grok. When beer warms, CO2 comes out of solution, which obviously affects the amount of CO2 left in the beer. If the beer cools back down, the CO2 doesn’t go back in…its already gone. So the highest temp the beer has reached represents the amount of dissolved CO2 left in it.

Now I’m puzzled… Then why does the CO2/foam seem to be present after the bottling group open a refrigerated brew? If it left, sitting up there in the neck, does it pass through it when you pour and become dissolved in the cold brew?
I’ll point out, I haven’t listened to this podcast… Yet… Something is fishy here. Sneezles61

But what if a beer reaches its highest temp at the start of fermentation? Wouldn’t it be safe to say highest temp after high krausen?

I’ve come to understand this as well. Even though our hosts priming calculator says current temperature of beer, I’ve always used the highest temperature that the beer reached during fermentation.

I wonder about that as well. I have a Belgian Golden Strong that I intentionally let get into the low 80s early in fermentation. The question being does CO2 get generated beyond that temp point that matters in priming calculations?

I have always used the highest temp in the past.

Yiiu guys are making this way too difficult. It’s the highest temp the beer has reached during fermentation, not before it starts.

1 Like

I agree with you @denny. But of course over thinking is common among our type.

One thing to remember is that the warmer the solution the less CO2 it can hold. Hence the reason it cones out of solution. And you’re talking about a small volume of CO2, not 2-3 volumes. Probably not enough to worry about unless you are pushing the upper limits of volumes per style.