Breaking the news

Been wanting to pick up a new microscope for a while now. Not that I need a new one, just want a new one. Got any ideas for an easy way to break the news to the wife before one mysteriously arrives on the doorstep? :roll:

tell her you are cooking meth like Walter White to contribute more to 529 plans.

Honestly, I probably take the wrong approach with those things. My tact would be to explain to her WHY I need it. Ie to examine cell health and count yeast cells, as they are the real beer makers. Is she a beer drinker? If so, explain how it will help you make better beer.

If you don’t have kids, I have found it is easier to justify purchases for a hobby. HOWEVER, if you do have kids, you can use the angle that you want your kids to get interested in microbiology!

boom.

Thanks, but doesn’t quite apply since I already own one.

If your old one accidentally broke, you would need a new one. :smiley:

Do you have any kids? I’m thinking long term science project.

If not that the mob-style accident isn’t a bad idea. And for the record I don’t think Walt would be to worried about asking Skyler to buy a new microscope.

Its cheaper then a new corvette

[quote=“gregscsu”]Its cheaper then a new corvette[/quote]+1 I use the same tactic to justify new tattoos. But if that doesn’t work for the OP, I’ve had good luck with upgrading equipment - buy the new one then sell the old one and let your wife know how much you got for it if it’s a good amount or forget to tell her if not.

[quote=“Shadetree”][quote=“gregscsu”]Its cheaper then a new corvette[/quote]+1 I use the same tactic to justify new tattoos. [/quote]my wife doesn’t go for that tactic. she gives me the “Pfffft” look. :lol:

Buy her something shiny, it will distract her. I’m thinking a saucepan, but you might have better ideas than me.

[quote=“Edward Teach”]my wife doesn’t go for that tactic. she gives me the “Pfffft” look. :wink:

[quote=“Shadetree”][quote=“Edward Teach”]my wife doesn’t go for that tactic. she gives me the “Pfffft” look. :wink: [/quote]she’d see through the ruse. she knows my interests are her, beer, and tattoos. in that order. hahaha! you can’t pull one over on a psyc grad unless you’re smarter than them. and I’m not.

Just trying to prevent yeast infections dear.

This might be the ticket. She’s thinking about looking at new cars in a week or two.

And to think I was going to pull some kind of “significant improvements in technology” crap. :roll:

This might be the ticket. She’s thinking about looking at new cars in a week or two.

And to think I was going to pull some kind of “significant improvements in technology” crap. :roll: [/quote]

+1. Get her something nice. Then, when you buy your microscope, make sure to tell her what a great deal you got on it. 60% of the time, it works every time!

I spit out my water when I read that. Yogi Berra, was it?

I spit out my water when I read that. Yogi Berra, was it?[/quote]

Brian Fantana (played by Paul Rudd), Anchorman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjvQFtlNQ-M