Bourbon Porter

I just added oak cubes and Maker’s Mark to the Porter in the secondary. I tried the Porter just before adding the bourbon and it tastes great already.
I think I’ll have to start another batch right away just to have a backup batch ready when I need it.

I’m thinking Knob Creek.

What’s your favorite bourbon to use?

I use Jim Beam Black. For my recipe, you want a balance, not to have the bourbon stick out at you. IMO if you use enough bourbon to be able to identify it, you’ve used too much.

Yup, Denny nailed it. I also use JBB. One time I used Makers Mark and it was not right. The JBB in Denny’s BVIP make quite arguably the best beer on the planet.

Well, in that case, thanks a ton for the comments.
“if you use enough bourbon to be able to identify it, you’ve used too much.”

• that’s a really good point

I agree with the BVIP masters, JBB is probably the way to go, however if you have Knob Creek on hand it will also be very very good. Either bourbon you decide to go with it’s going to be great!

I was looking at the NB kit to brew in Nov, does the type/quality of the bourbon really make that big a difference? ie: will I taste the difference between a $10 bottom shelf and something like JB?

When I chose JBB for mine, it was becasue it was middle of the road price wise. While the bourbon doesn’t need to be top shelf, it shouldn’t be rotgut, either. I think that ROT is that if you can drink it, you can add it to your beer.

I’m in the middle of an experimental Bourbon Chipotle Porter which will be ready for bottles in a couple weeks. I used Makers because it was on hand. Never used bourbon before, so I added 12 oz. for a 5.5 gal. batch, just looking for a pleasant hint. I’m curious, how much do you seasoned vets use for a good flavor without overpowering? Thanks!

[quote=“Thirstyone”]I’m in the middle of an experimental Bourbon Chipotle Porter which will be ready for bottles in a couple weeks. I used Makers because it was on hand. Never used bourbon before, so I added 12 oz. for a 5.5 gal. batch, just looking for a pleasant hint. I’m curious, how much do you seasoned vets use for a good flavor without overpowering? Thanks![/quote]I like 375ml per 5 gallon keg which gives a nice balance.

THIS^^^^

Thanks guys. I guess i’m in the ballpark. Can’t wait to try it! :cheers:

I just finally drained my keg of BBP. I used Makers Mark because IMO it’s a superior Bourbon to any others I’ve tried. To me it was just so-so. Both my sons (serious beer snobs) loved it. So I got 2 for it and one against. I just felt it was too strong and heavy and you could actually taste the Makers. I doubt I’ll brew it this way again.

The deal with the bourbon isn’t necessarily that it be top-shelf, it’s that it fits the profile of the beer.

Makers Mark is a fine whiskey bourbon but aged six years it may not have the flavor profile necessary to blend well with the beer.

JBB, a straight bourbon, is aged 8 years and when added in the right quantity has a flavor profile that enhances the beer.

Now, if you can actually taste the whiskey you may have added too much as one would think that MM would work equally as well as JBB.

If you make the beer again, try using less whiskey or scale the amount of whiskey you use by adding 1/4 teaspoon increments to glasses of beer until you reach one that fits your liking.

[quote=“jd14t”]
Makers Mark is a fine whiskey bourbon but aged six years it may not have the flavor profile necessary to blend well with the beer.[/quote]

I used Maker’s Mark once in a BP, and I felt that the slightly harsh character of the bourbon really played well with the harsh grainy character of the Briess malt. YMMV.

Denny to you also use oak cubes or just the 375ml per 5 gal? Another question, is how long do you typically age this beer before drinking? I guess I am trying to decide when I should brew it if I want to serve it around Thanksgiving next year.

Actually, I think I may have found the answers to my initial questions. I stumbled across your recipe in the forums. I look forward to brewing this and hope to have similar success to everyone else that’s brewed it. Thanks!!!

Denny to you also use oak cubes or just the 375ml per 5 gal? Another question, is how long do you typically age this beer before drinking? I guess I am trying to decide when I should brew it if I want to serve it around Thanksgiving next year.[/quote]