Bourbon Barrel Porter

I brewed this beer on Thursday and placed it in a carboy did all the routine 02, yeast starter. By Saturday evening bubbling almost done. OG.-1-065, Checked with hydrometer on Sunday now 1.030. ABV shows 7.0%. My question is am I good with this fermentation or do I need to reyeast again and get better fermentation.

What were your temps, starting, during fermentation, at the time you checked? You may be able to ramp up if it cooled down too much as fermentation was ending.

70 - 72 degrees

Too warm, IMO. If your OG is 1.065, and SG is now 1.030, that gives you an ABV of 4.75%

I would suggest leaving it alone for a couple of weeks. Its only been fermenting for four days.

[quote=“mrv”]
I would suggest leaving it alone for a couple of weeks. Its only been fermenting for four days.[/quote]

This. Then RDWHAHB :cheers:

I’m brewing the same thing using the windsor ale yeast, which I think doesn’t have a high attenuation.

I ended at about 1.024 after 2 weeks. I read some posts that said this should be expected with the yeast i’m using and the amount of Dark LME that is used.

Is this inline with other peoples experiences?

[quote=“wikki”]I’m brewing the same thing using the windsor ale yeast, which I think doesn’t have a high attenuation.

I ended at about 1.024 after 2 weeks. I read some posts that said this should be expected with the yeast i’m using and the amount of Dark LME that is used.

Is this inline with other peoples experiences?[/quote]

Yep, I brewed the same kit and ended up at 1.025 after sitting in primary for 3 weeks.

I brewed this in a 1 gal. kit; read a couple reviews about vigorous fermentation. Figured I’d be fine using a 1 gal. fermentor due to dry yeast, no starter, good ambient temp and a blow off hose. Nope- this was a BEAST. Lost about 12 oz.

Lesson learned- if any doubt, go with a bigger fermentor. :wink: