Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Bourbon Barrel Porter Brewers: Can you answer a question?

Hey guys,

I’ve brewed the all-grain version of the Bourbon Barrel Porter. The beer has ZERO head. Has anyone else had this experience? Is this because of the bourbon addition?

Thanks for your help.

I have brewed a few bourbon stouts. they’ve all had a decent head. I added 6oz of bourbon at bottling. I don’t think it’s the culprit. usually residue or film on the glassware is to blame, but we brewers tend to be anal about our glassware. what was your process? is it fully carbed with no head? I’ve had that problem before & couldn’t figure it out.

It’s forced carbed in a keg. There is carbonation, just no head. I can’t really figure out what happened.

I had a beer on tap just recently with that problem. I never did figure out why, I just hurried and drank it so it wouldn’t annoy me anymore.

I brewed that exact kit a couple of years ago, with the amount of bourbon called for, and remember it having a bit of a head, but not too much of one. I bottle conditioned mine, though. Not quite sure what the reason could be, but if it tastes as good as the one I had, I wouldn’t worry about it. On a side note, I was drinking a Ska Mole Stout from a can today and was surprised to find that it had absolutely no head at all, not even bubbles, and was scratching my head wondering why that could be…not a bad beer at all, by the way.

I’d like to try that Ska Mole Head. where can I pickitup, pickitup, pickitup?

I got it here in Chicago. Not very easy to find here, but I’ve seen a couple of shops carrying it. I think it’s a new seasonal.

Yep, I recently brewed this, bottle conditioned it, and almost zero head. Carbonation was fine though?

you don’t listen to any 3rd Wave, do you? :lol:

Man, it is tasty.

you don’t listen to any 3rd Wave, do you? :lol: [/quote]

Nope. I had a feeling there was a reference there that I was missing :oops:

[quote=“LarryTate”]Hey guys,

I’ve brewed the all-grain version of the Bourbon Barrel Porter. The beer has ZERO head. Has anyone else had this experience? Is this because of the bourbon addition?

Thanks for your help.[/quote]I had this happen the first time I brewed Denny’s BVIP. The next time, I added a pound of carapils and boiled for 2 hours and it was a very nice creamy persistent head. Since then, I deleted the extra carapils addition and now boil it for up to 6 hours and it is wonderful. Bottom line: I don’t know why but my imperial porters and stouts require longer boil times. Mainly I do it because I am making 24 gallons of it and can spare the time to boil off to keep the OG high. Since I use NG burners, I don’t feel bad letting it go for hours. If I were a propane user, it would bother me to waste so many propane dollars.

you don’t listen to any 3rd Wave, do you? :lol: [/quote]

Nope. I had a feeling there was a reference there that I was missing :oops: [/quote]
it’s for kids, but the “pick it up” is used in a lot of ska. especially 3rd wave.

[quote=“LarryTate”]Hey guys,

Thanks for your help.[/quote]

Nope.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com