Bottling tomorrow 11/4

Bottling the modify nut brown tomorrow. Going to use 1.95 gr light brown sugar in a 12 oz bottle.

1 Like

I haven’t followed if you have posted about this already but did you modify the recipe or are you just priming with brown sugar? I brewed the nut brown kit on the 16th. OG 1.043 FG 1.011 Bottled on the 30th primed to 2.1 volumes of C02. I was thinking about switching out the Gold LME for Maris Otter LME next batch.

I’m going to try to bottle 10 gallons tomorrow… not sure if I can manage it.

1 Like

That’s a lot of bottling…

I bottled 3 5-gallon batches last spring on a Saturday morning. It’s not as bad as it sounds. You get into a rhythm.

1 Like

I find I don’t mind bottling as much now that I have developed an efficient routine and put half my batch in 16 oz swing tops or 22 oz bombers. The rest in 12 oz bottles goes pretty quick after that. I always hated sanitizing all the bottles or capping a large batch solo. I have a modified dry Irish stout to bottle tonight and the wife is going to help me for the first time after we get the kids down. Should be interesting…

2 Likes

I modified by. hops and with the priming sugar. I was able to find raw sugar , that is what I am going to use. 1.75 gr. 5 gals bottling. Might do 1/2 light brown sugar and 1/2 raw. This was an AG kit. Made many time before, just wanted to try something different.

1 Like

My wife has helped me on every batch except the very first, when I quickly realized what a lonely tedious pursuit it was. I think it gives her street cred with her friends to be the bottling wench😀
She does the sanitizing, stirring, final packaging and labeling.

1 Like

Have you used brown sugar for priming previously? It will add some bitterness to the beer with the molasses that is in it. Might not be too much with the small amount used.

My wife enjoys capping. We turn on some music and make it enjoyable. I set up and break down she just caps. Of course I have a nice space to set up but I could see doing it in the kitchen as a pita

Got it done… 98 bottles. The wash/rinse/inspect for cracks is what I hate. They’re always clean, but I’d hate to miss something. Once they’re sanitized and racked into the dishwasher, filling and capping is a breeze.

2 Likes

Looks good. I like the symmetry and promise of things to come after the bottling is finished.

You definitely have the symmetry and promise of good tastings to come.

2 Likes

It’s a beautiful thing

I noticed there in the back one trooper out of formation

Volunteer to be the first one tasted.

2 Likes

I managed exactly 49.5 bottles in each batch. My penchant for round numbers was really disturbed. The half bottle samples were welcome additions to the cleaning routine, mind you…

I ended up with 46 bottles; 24 raw sugar and 22 light brown sugar. This was the first time for LBS. I believe bottle conditioning starts with after the beer leaves the bottle. I always boil water before bottling. I fine that I appreciate the beer a little more when I bottle.

So what is the average amount of bottles most people get from a five gallon batch? I end up between 44 and 48 bottles. I have only gotten 48 bottles twice so far.

I will have 48 to 49.5. I prefer to get only 48. Fills two cases. No need for a 6-pak holder sitting on top of the cases during the conditioning time.

2 Likes

I usually get less, like 42-45 bottles. I secondary, so usually lose a little volume. The last two were partial mash with jugs of LME, so I ended up with more volume than usual (closer to 5.75 gallons in primary).