Bottling sample

Not so great, is that common?

I’ve seen people here and on other forums say how good their samples taste. Am I missing something?

So far I have liked how my other batches of beer have turned out (only 5). I have enjoyed how they have smelled during fermentation and bottling, but the samples just haven’t tasted good to me.

Just wondering.

Lack of carbonation and additional aging in the bottle change the beers flavor.

As long as they don’t taste bad going into the bottle, don’t worry about it.

It is an acquired taste. After 25 batches or so you develop the ability to taste a sample and predict the outcome much better.

I tend to find that hoppy beers taste ok as warm flat samples but more malt based beers do not.

That makes sense. Also, my sample are usually at the bottom of the bucket too. Probably not the best time to try and sample.

That makes sense. Also, my sample are usually at the bottom of the bucket too. Probably not the best time to try and sample.[/quote]

Take a hydrometer reading before the transfer and pour that sample out into a cup for sampling

Oh I did that, then dry hopped for a week.
For some reason I can’t recall tasting the hydro sample. I wonder if I dumped it while cleaning up my other brew. I did note the reading though.

Style definitely matters. Usually I only taste the sample because I feel like I should; I never really like it. But I’ve mostly only brewed wheat and pale ales. Last night I helped bottle a porter, and after tasting the sample I think I might have seriously considered opening one of the bottles we just capped and pouring it into a glass.