Bottling RIS - do I need to add yeast?

Hi
I’m getting ready to bottle the RIS I brewed about 4.5 months ago. I saw a post a little earlier where a guy talked about adding yeast before bottling. Question: do I need to add yeast before bottling? If yes, what is the procedure and how much do I use.

Thanks!

Yes, most definitely. You’ll need a dry yeast and add a few granules to each bottle. Make sure you get one that will handle the abv of your beer. I like US-05

On a related topic i also have a question about bottling a RIS. I have a RIS that under attenuated down to 1.020. Its in a single gallon glass fermentor.

typically i will add fresh yeast and priming sugar to another glass gallon jug, transfer to that and then bottle from there.

QUESTION: Because the beer underattenutaed and its at 1.020 should i not add priming sugar b.c the fresh bottling yeast will eat that up and dry it more? or should i do as normal and add the normal amount of priming sugar and fresh yeast will only eat that?

Just trying to avoid bottle bombs and finish with the right carb level.

Thanks

I made a few strong beers a few years back that didn’t carbonate. I have used US-05, T-58, and CBC-1 for bottle conditioning with good results.

[quote=“cheddahbiscuits”]On a related topic i also have a question about bottling a RIS. I have a RIS that under attenuated down to 1.020. Its in a single gallon glass fermentor.

typically i will add fresh yeast and priming sugar to another glass gallon jug, transfer to that and then bottle from there.

QUESTION: Because the beer underattenutaed and its at 1.020 should i not add priming sugar b.c the fresh bottling yeast will eat that up and dry it more? or should i do as normal and add the normal amount of priming sugar and fresh yeast will only eat that?

Thanks[/quote]

Are you sure it’s under attenuated? What was your O G? What was your recipe? What yeast?

[quote=“Rookie L A”][quote=“cheddahbiscuits”]On a related topic i also have a question about bottling a RIS. I have a RIS that under attenuated down to 1.020. Its in a single gallon glass fermentor.

Thanks[/quote]

Are you sure it’s under attenuated? What was your O G? What was your recipe? What yeast?[/quote]

yeh 1.082-1.020 with cali ale with a low rest temperature, they usually finish lower for me.

What i think i will do is add priming sugar but instead of aiming for 2.0 volumes ill aim on the low side to counter if any left over sugars get eaten. So ill aim for 1.8 instead of 2 to counter.

thoughts on that approach?

Thanks for the reply. Is it best to add to the bottle or could I possibly add them to the bottling bucket?

[quote=“Misfit”]Thanks for the reply. Is it best to add to the bottle or could I possibly add them to the bottling bucket?[/quote]I have heard it is best to add directly to the bottles so it’s more accurate.

Last question: Is one packet of Safale - 05 just the right amount to evenly distribute between 5 gallons, too much, not enough?

[quote=“Misfit”]Last question: Is one packet of Safale - 05 just the right amount to evenly distribute between 5 gallons, too much, not enough?[/quote]Its probably more than enough but a little extra won’t hurt. I’d put say ten granules into each bottle.

Thank you.