bottling question

I cold crashed a batch of summer ale and it’s ready to be bottled. Should I use the priming amount for the temp it is at now, or the temp it will be conditioning at? Don’t want to under carb it, but don’t want any gushers either.

If I remember right, it’s the highest temp during fermentation.

So it’s at 46F now, but will bottle condition around 70, so use the priming amount for 70?

So it’s at 46F now, but will bottle condition around 70, so use the priming amount for 70?[/quote]

No, you need to use the highest temperature it reached while it was actively fermenting. That temperature sets the amount of CO2 that is already dissolved in your beer. Your priming calculator takes that dissolved amount into account so you don’t wind up with overcarbonated beer, or, worse yet, bottle bombs.

[quote=“65SS427”]
No, you need to use the highest temperature it reached while it was actively fermenting. That temperature sets the amount of CO2 that is already dissolved in your beer. Your priming calculator takes that dissolved amount into account so you don’t wind up with overcarbonated beer, or, worse yet, bottle bombs.[/quote]
Gotcha, so since it fermented at 68-70*, go with that on the calculator…

That’s correct. Sorry for the confusion, I haven’t bottled in awhile.

No arguments with what’s posted above. Just want to add that if you let the temp. rise above fermentation temps. during storage before bottling, then more CO2 would be driven off without the possibility of more being produced. So you would use the highest temp. to figure out your calculation.
For example if somehow your beer that fermented at 68-70 had a day of 75 before bottling, then use the 75. :cheers:

I understand why temperature is such a factor, there is science behind it. However…

In my 100+ bottle conditioned batches, I have never considered temperature to be a factor in priming calculations, and… only had a problem maybe 5 or 6 times out of the hundred.

In conclusion, it might make a difference… but not much.