Bottling Question

Hey y’all,

First post, been stalking the forums for a while now, and wanted to start with a heartfelt thanks for all the knowledge that is so freely and kindly given here.

Question: About a week and a half from bottling, and only got one case of bottles with my kit. I’m planning on buying more, but unfortunately don’t have a LHBS within 50 miles. I gladly support our host for majority of my purchases, but for a case of bottles, the shipping is literally equal to the unit cost. Have PM’d a few guys that I see are local to me, but haven’t yet heard. Was wondering what other options I may not be thinking of.

Hope this finds everyone well.

[quote=“DrBrews”]Hey y’all,

First post, been stalking the forums for a while now, and wanted to start with a heartfelt thanks for all the knowledge that is so freely and kindly given here.

Question: About a week and a half from bottling, and only got one case of bottles with my kit. I’m planning on buying more, but unfortunately don’t have a LHBS within 50 miles. I gladly support our host for majority of my purchases, but for a case of bottles, the shipping is literally equal to the unit cost. Have PM’d a few guys that I see are local to me, but haven’t yet heard. Was wondering what other options I may not be thinking of.

Hope this finds everyone well.[/quote]

Weekend party… buy some bottles of whatever you like (so long as it’s bottled as pry-offs), invite friends over, drink, then wash. Better yet, have friends BYOB, collect, wash. Or, worst case scenario, stalk your neighborhood on trash day and collect bottles.

Buy a case of good craft beer. Drink said beer. Rinse bottles. Soak in Oxi-clean to remove labels. Fill up bottles with your beer.

^^ What he said. He beat me to it.

[quote=“Infinite_Day”]Buy a case of good craft beer. Drink said beer. Rinse bottles. Soak in Oxi-clean to remove labels. Fill up bottles with your beer.

^^ What he said. He beat me to it.[/quote]

+1. Don’t buy new bottles when you can buy perfectly good used bottles filled with perfectly good craft beer!
:cheers:

Go to your local pub and ask for emptys. Hopefully you are closer to a pub than a LHBS :wink:

Clean and scrub and sanitize.

Wait. There is no LHBS in Charleston??

Not unless it’s hidden in a cave with a super secret password!

But seriously, no. One local brewery used to sell equipment (four hours a week on tasting days), but they’ve since stopped. Another local brewery only sells ingredients. I’ve been on an hour round trip around town on “I think so and so place miiiiiiight have some equipment”.

Looking forward to getting a little more experience under my belt prior, but hope to eventually find a local brewers group here to join.

Also, the partying and drinking lots of brews is going to be tough, on call most days for work, through the end of both these batches.

Make friends with a bartender.

Are you in a forced recycling state? If so go to the recycling depo and buy back some bottles.

You can also use any combination of soda bottles. I recommend new brewers to fill one soda bottle with their beer. Squeeze the O2 out and screw the cap on. As CO2 is formed the bottle will expand. No wondering what is happening inside the glass. Also, stir the beer after every 10-12 bottles filled to keep the sugars mixed in.

My community recycling center has containers FULL of bottles, and people pick through them all the time!

Get to know the attendant at your recycling center, who may or may not like a homebrew or 2 :shock:

Seriously, if you’re not in a forced recycling area, you can probably get them for free.

That’s where I take all my glass recycling, to include my non-twist off beer bottles.

Liquor stores that offer free tastings are a great place to check. I would also check CL. I have offered bottles on CL for free many times and have seen several other homebrewers do the same.

The recycling idea is great! We have a facility pretty close, will check into that.

We have curb side recycling where I live. I’ve always got my eyes peeled and some weeks there are not many; some weeks there are more than I can fit into my backpack.