Bottling early

I was curious if anyone has bottled their beer a few days before the full 2 week fermentation period?

Great question. First I would like to say that two weeks is not always full. I’m not sure where you read that but “full” fermentation to me is 4 weeks. The only way to truly tell if your fermentation is done is to take a gravity reading. If two readings spaced 3 days apart are exactly the same… then there’s a good chance your fermentation is done.
I just made a Brut Pale Ale that went to .99 in 3 days. Wow… yes that is done by most accounts. But I still let is sit 3 weeks because I want the yeast to complete its job and clean up that hot mess it made in a rush to feed. My final reading was .93. This is the lowest I’ve ever gone so it’s really not a good example.
I almost never bottle less than 3 weeks. IMO, There is nothing to be gained from rushing the process as a home brewer.
Other things I’m aging for 3-6 months so that the full flavor of the yeast can be completed.
Wheat beers and NEIPAs benefit from a quick turn around. Regular IPAs should be timed well with no "I’ll get to it later. Everything else you can relax about

3 Likes

Search on the term “bottle bombs” for more information.

1 Like