Bottling carbonated beer I thought was degassed

Cheers & beers, fellow brewers. I have a question about something for y’all.

So, tonight, I go to bottle a weizenbock, which I originally kegged and carbonated at 10 PSI at 38F. But, I decided that at 9% abv it would take forever to drink, so I wanted to bottle it. I took it off gas, degassed it a few times until no hissing was happening anymore after a few days. So I figured it was degassed. Mistake number one.
So I go to bottle it tonight, dump the priming sugar into the keg, dump new yeast in since it had been sitting in the kegerator for a couple months. Mistake number two. Only to discover it’s still carbonated. So…what do I do, I filled a couple bottles…decided just to cap them.
So, this is a 4 gallon batch, I dumped a priming solution in with 4.65oz of corn sugar and a packet of Mangrove jack’s workhorse yeast. If I had bottled, would I get crazy bottle bombs and the like if the beer still had a bit of carbonation?
Also, I’ve decided to leave it at room temp and carb up in the keg and degass it to bring it back down. I guess I can just drink it from the keg slowly or bottle it once it’s carbonated off the keg.

I know that’s probably way too much corn sugar to be carbonating in the keg, so it’s going to get crazy over carbonated in there too…

What say you?

Why didn’t you bottle it carbonated? Why the need to degas?

It takes a lot of time to completely degas a beer. I think it may even need to be warmed up to room temperature and mechanically degased.

I think the easiest option is to keg it carbonated. At this point you would need to let it warm up to feement out the priming sugar, and then bottle.

[quote=“roffenburger”]Why didn’t you bottle it carbonated? Why the need to degas?

It takes a lot of time to completely degas a beer. I think it may even need to be warmed up to room temperature and mechanically degased.

I think the easiest option is to keg it carbonated. At this point you would need to let it warm up to feement out the priming sugar, and then bottle.[/quote]
I think that’s my only option at this point. It will carbonate more in the keg though. If I bottled it from the keg, I worry about oxidation. It’s a pretty tasty beer, would hate to ruin it.

Anyone have any advice on how to handle this? Or should I just let it carbonate naturally then drink it from the keg or bottle it with the el cheapo method?

I’m not quite understanding how you were going to bottle this? Bottling from the keg would not introduce that much oxygen. It seems to me that reinoculating with yeast and priming sugar, transferring to a bottling bucket, and bottling as normal would be more disruptive to the beer. Since what’s done is done, I would let the keg finish fermenting the priming sugar at an optimal temp and then cold crash and bottle from keg. Just off gas the keg until its done, then reforcecarb and bottle.

Well, what I did was just add the sugar and yeast to the keg, sealed the lid with co2, then rolled the keg around to mix the yeast and sugar in. My plan was to bottle it from the keg, pushing with co2 through a picnic tap with a bottling wand stuck in it. But the beer was still carbonated…

I guess I was just wondering that if I had gone ahead and bottled it all, since the beer was a bit carbonated already, would those bottles become over carbonated and blow up? I bottled two, so I guess we’ll see…
I like bottling that way, it puts me at ease knowing the beer isn’t open to the environment such as in a bottling bucket. And it’s easier to be sanitary, I feel.

Oh… I see what you were trying to do. I degas my over carbed beers by putting CO2 through the liquid side until I reach where I want. You could always try that in the future if this happens. Good Luck!

Interesting. What does putting co2 through the liquid side achieve for degassing?

It agitates the beer, kinda like blowing bubbles in your soda with a straw. I put the CO2 in and let it out through the purge. I continue this until I have dropped enough carbonation to my liking. It works pretty slick. I got this tip from another on the forum. Only issue is that it stirs up the yeast at the bottom, but that will settle back out.

Long ago in a galaxy about ten feet away, my first batch or beer resulted in bottle bombs. They were a mess to clean up and one nailed me in the back of my arm. It took two sutures to close the cut.

Leave the keg at room temp and release the pressure every day until you get the pressure you want. Then, bottle from the keg.

[quote=“Old_Dawg”]Long ago in a galaxy about ten feet away, my first batch or beer resulted in bottle bombs. They were a mess to clean up and one nailed me in the back of my arm. It took two sutures to close the cut.

Leave the keg at room temp and release the pressure every day until you get the pressure you want. Then, bottle from the keg.[/quote]
I may do this, it may be my only choice at this point. I suppose I could just drink the beer from the keg, but it’ll take a while to drink 4 gallons of 9% weizenbock.