Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Bottling Blended Sours

My understanding is that it is somewhat of an inexact science/art to blend sours and especially to bottle condition them. For the latter, you would need to have a pretty extensive understanding of not only the specific gravity, but the composition of the residual carbs in the beer. That being the case, we are likely bottling 15 gallons or so of year-old flanders shortly, not including any blended young beer.

Is the simplest way to ensure a consistent carbonation level to pasteurize the beer, chill to priming temp, then add new sacc yeast with priming sugar? Or would potassium metabisulfate+potassium carbonate work on dropping out all the bugs like it does with cider?

Something says to me that heating up the beer to pasteurization temps is not good for it…

If you’re bottling the flanders without blending, I’d suggest using champagne yeast for bottle carbing. I think things like a lower pH and lack of dissolved oxygen in the beer after extended aging would inhibit any sac (for example, a neutral ale yeast like US-05) from carbing even with the addition of priming sugar.

I used US05 in my first batches of sours and got no carbonation whatsoever. I’ve started using Red Star Premier Cuvee champagne yeast and had good results. With my last batches of bottled sours, I went with 1 gram Red Star per gallon of beer and carbing with priming sugar to 2.25 vol.

I had a difficult time with this as well. I pitched some wine yeast prior to bottling and my sour still came out under carbonated. Would be great to hear if anyone has perfected the process.

What I do is ferment all the beers out completely, blend and then bottle condition with ale yeast I have around. I am going to try and use wine yeast next.

wine yeast it is. What about knocking out the bugs/brett so they don’t eat up dextrins in the younger beer?

Pasteurization or potassium?

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com