Bottling a Sour

I’ve got a sour saison that’s been going since April and it’s about where I want it for bottling. I’ve checked the forum for ideas on bottling and conditioning and it seems like the two more popular options are corking in belgian bottles or kegging. At least right now, I’m not set up for either so I’m looking to use 12oz bottles. At last check months ago, the gravity was 1.006 (and I’m sure it’s lower now) so bottle bombs really aren’t too much of a concern.

I suppose I could pitch a neutral ale or champagne yeast or some brett or bottle dregs. I’m fine with bottle conditioning and carbing taking a while so I’m open to any of those methods. Does anyone have any thoughts on which one may work best? Would I need to include some additional priming sugar so the yeast/brett/dregs have something to feed on?

Thanks for everyone’s help in advance!

This is something that im also curious about. I also have a sour saison waiting to be bottled.

You need to prime the beer to get it to carbonate and since it’s been sitting since April, I would also add a little fresh yeast to the beer.

I had initially used Wyeast 3711 in the primary and then pitched Jolly Pumpkin dregs into the secondary. I was thinking of using something neutral like US-05 for the yeast at this point. Would I need to adjust my pitching rate (ie use less than a full packet of yeast)? Would I also need to adjust my usual priming sugar rate as well (3/4 cup dissolved in 8oz water)? Or more simply, is there a sour beer rule of thumb for yeast/priming sugar rates per gallon?

After this much time, I’d hate to over carbonate and create bottle bombs with 3711, dregs, US-05, and too much priming sugar…

I had initially used Wyeast 3711 in the primary and then pitched Jolly Pumpkin dregs into the secondary. I was thinking of using something neutral like US-05 for the yeast at this point. Would I need to adjust my pitching rate (ie use less than a full packet of yeast)? Would I also need to adjust my usual priming sugar rate as well (3/4 cup dissolved in 8oz water)? Or more simply, is there a sour beer rule of thumb for yeast/priming sugar rates per gallon?

After this much time, I’d hate to over carbonate and create bottle bombs with 3711, dregs, US-05, and too much priming sugar…[/quote]
HA I used Jolly Pumpkin dreggs too! Bam Bier?

Add 1-2 grams of US-05, rehydrated, or 2-3 grams if just sprinkling on top. And the usual amount of priming sugar if you’re sure the bugs are done munching - if not, reduce the sugar just a little.

Shadetree - Thanks for all the help!

GoldenChild - I actually portioned off two gallons from a 6 gallon saison batch. I placed one gallon in a growler with the dregs of a JP La Roja and the other gallon in another growler with the dregs from JP’s Bam Biere. Should be interesting to see how they compare in a side by side tasting.