Bottling a bourbon porter?

Hi guys Happy New Year! I’m gonna be bottling my bourbon porter extract recipe this week. It was in primary for 3 weeks and 5 weeks in secondary. My question is if anyone has done this recipe did you use the recommend 5oz of priming sugar or less? Thanks!!!

I used less. A fizzy BBP does not have a good flavor profile. Have you looked at NB’s carbonation calculator? You can carbonate to style or decide your personal preference.

Great thank you!!!

I don’t know what your recipe was but the only bottle that ever exploded on me was a BB Porter . I thought it was done fermenting but apparently not. I used one of those fizz drops. I also dropped an bourbon soaked oak chip in liter flip tops. Maybe the oak chip was fermentable. Only one blew I burped the others and chilled. Messy clean up but the basement smelled great.

I had the same experience as brew cat. Only bottle bomb I ever had was the extract BBP. I’ve done 2 batches of it since then, (one extract, one all grain). Both ended up somewhat overcarbed, and I used the NB priming calculator for the style. So my advice is to use a little less priming sugar in this recipe than what’s called for. I agree with flars, too fizzy is not good for a BBP. My last ones I had to pour, sit them in the fridge for an hour to offgas, then drink. Not the worst of problems, but definitely avoidable.

Best of luck,

Cheers

Ron

Thanks for the help guys! I just checked on the carbonation calculator and it’s a big help. If I have to wait another week to bottle will it be ok in secondary if it’s been in there close to 6 weeks or should I bottle as soon as I can? Thanks!

Your beer is probably ready to bottle. Everything that can be accomplished in a secondary vessel has happened.
I still have two bottles of BBP a friend gave me. He bottle conditioned these for eight months. I’ve had them refrigerated for over a year now. They’re probably ready.