Bottling a big beer after only 2 weeks?

Got a pal that wanted my thoughts on bottling a Belgian after only 2 weeks in primary. If I recall his batch had a substantial OG and his claim is that all activity has stopped and FG has been achieved, like a 50 point drop. I suggested waiting and my base for this is 2 weeks is not enough time for even light OG beers and that with his additions of candy sugar and fruit (yuk) that not enough time has passed to let his ingredients simply ‘meld’ together and create that ‘perfect’ beer. Not to mention the likelyhood of making bombs is imminent. So it goes. What are your thoughts about this?
Thanks, Mike

Can almost guarantee that he’ll have bombs if he does this.

I urged this point, but I’ve known him for over 20 years and when his mind is made up… well… I told him to keep them stored in the shower.

Besides the bombs are there any other factors to consider by being patient? I always think of soup. Yesterdays soup today always tastes better right? Wouldn’t brewing ingredients need time to marry properly etc?

Yes, time makes beer better… usually. I have bottled/kegged wheat beers after only 2 weeks and have been fine. But wheat beers are generally meant to be drank early. But most other beers are better when given time. This is even more true when talking about stronger beers including Belgians. The style will dictate how long a beer should be left to condition properly and/or age. I never bottle/keg anything (other than wheats) in under 3-4 weeks in primary. And most big beers get a month or 2 secondary.

Coincidentally enough I am waiting for bombs to go off myself.

I simply had not considered that consequense of overshooting my OGs.

I typically overshot a recipes stated OG by 8-12 points. I still have been bottling these “lawnmower beers” at the called for (by recipe) 2 week period.

Hmmm recipe sarts with a Og of say 1.038 and I get instead 1.050. I always test Gravity at bottling and as usual this one was dead on at 10.09. I normally come in a tad low for FG even though I tend to start high as mentioned.

My question – If my FG was at 1.008 when I bottled am I safe from bottle bombs even though I started with a much higher than the assumed OG (say 1.050)?

I did open one this weekend at the one week in bottle point and it was quite carbonated.

Better put some plastic under these babies!!

Barry

[quote=“Vulkin’”]My question – If my FG was at 1.008 when I bottled am I safe from bottle bombs even though I started with a much higher than the assumed OG (say 1.050)?[/quote]If you’re at 1.008, regardless of the OG, and assuming that it’s not a wild yeast strain, you’re not going to get bottle bombs from continued fermentation (although you can obviously over-prime with sugar).

Thanks Shadetree, that was what I guessed but it helps the nerves to hear it from a more experienced brewer.

I think I’m gonna start cutting my grain bill to get my %alchohol down in the recipe range.

Barry