Bottlers: Does size matter?

I’ve been bottling in 12 oz bottles, but being a bit of a Pumking junkie, I’m starting to amass a small collection of 22’s that I’ve been considering using for bottling.

Are there any differences in carb time or maturing for beers bottled in 12 ounces versus 22?

Timing is the same for carbing and aging. I think you will like using larger bottles. Fewer to clean, fill, and cap.

I’ve had instances where they seemed to condition slower than the 12oz, but not by a lot. I don’t rush bottled beer so its really not an issue for me.

I give my 22oz bottles an extra week before I start popping them. I have no real science to back up my practices, it is just what I have always done.

I had a capper for 12 oz and went to bottle in 22 oz. It wouldn’t work and I had to get a bench top style… lost most of an extract batch… Handy tip, make sure you capper works while there is no beer on the line! :cheers:

Sound advice. will do.

It won’t matter as long as the proper ratio of sugar is added for carbonation. The same stuff happens, but in a different sized container. If you were to add sugar differently, like individually per bottle or something, then you would have to change things up a bit.

22oz bottles have more yeast sediment in the bottom…obviously because it’s almost twice the volume of a 12oz…however the sediment seems to be significantly more in 22oz’ers.

Really? I have a swing handle capper and it worked fine on large bottles. As long as the cap fits the bottle…

[quote=“stompwampa”]22oz bottles have more yeast sediment in the bottom…obviously because it’s almost twice the volume of a 12oz…however the sediment seems to be significantly more in 22oz’ers.

Really? I have a swing handle capper and it worked fine on large bottles. As long as the cap fits the bottle…[/quote]

The neck and lip were different than other bottles, a longer thick tip of appox. 1/2 inch prevented black betty and emily cappers from making a seal.

I actually use an antique bench top I picked up for 20 bucks

[quote=“Canukian”]The neck and lip were different than other bottles, a longer thick tip of appox. 1/2 inch prevented black betty and emily cappers from making a seal.

I actually use an antique bench top I picked up for 20 bucks[/quote]

Ahh. Gotcha. I’ve had a few of those irregular bottles…I think they’re from Europe. I jus toss them. Don’t wanna risk trying to cap it if the cap won’t fit.

A brewery near me in Canada put a very nice lagered ale in those and I had been stocking up in anticipation of my new brewing hobby. I have a couple hundred stocked now :slight_smile: Hence why i changed my capper and not my bottles!