Bottled first lager

So I just bottled my first batch of lager, and I was wondering if I should let it sit and condition back in my cooler at lagering temps, or let it sit out at room temperature to allow it to carb up, (room temp is around 74 and my lager cooler is set to 39). On the one hand, I know it will take a lot longer to carb at the lower temperature, but on the other, I don’t want it to carb up too fast (or too much) at room temp and have a bunch of bottle bombs on my hands.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

If you can get to cellar temps in the mid 60s, that would be perfect.

It would takes ages…if at all, to carb up at lagering temps.

Give it two weeks, then chill one and crack it to see how well it carbed. If its good, throw them all in the lager chamber for cold storage.

[quote=“S Wagner”]I don’t want it to carb up too fast (or too much) at room temp and have a bunch of bottle bombs on my hands.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance![/quote]

Bottle bombs are caused by over-priming or bottling before fermentation is complete, not so much temp. I would condition at room temp and once carbed lager them away.

Thanks for the advice! I just moved the bottles down to my basement, which remains at a pretty consistent 63 degrees. I’ll give them a look in a couple of weeks.

Prost! :cheers:

[quote=“stompwampa”]
Give it two weeks, then chill one and crack it to see how well it carbed. If its good, throw them all in the lager chamber for cold storage.[/quote]

Minimum of 3 weeks. Likely 4 unless additional yeast are added. Which I doubt is needed.