Bottle tree?

So a couple batches in and starting to wonder if the “bottle tree” is a good investment. I have just been drip-drying my bottles on the counter after washing but wondering if anyone has had good result with the bottle tree or something homemade of the sorts? I only ask because my counter is about big enough to peel an apple and the gf is getting mad about my drying 48 beer bottle on it… (its a big apple)

I got mine about 11-12 years ago. it’s definitely worth it. and sanitizer injector is well worth it too. I try to keep my tree full of clean bottles ready for sanitizing.

Damn, I thought you had a new discovery.

+1. Both the bottle tree and “vinator” bottle rinser are priceless. I will add that a bench capper is also totally worth the investment over the wing capper.

Do you have a dishwasher? Much better bottle tree.

The bottle tree and Vinator are not optional equipment IMHO.

i use the vinator but i just tip my bottles upside down into the box they came in. the boxes take a beating from all the liquid but it seems like the tree would be extra equipment…and i try to have less.

no dishwasher…live in an apartment and that is not supplied. And as for the box the bottles are shipped in… I decided to drink my way to 48 bottles. Seemed like a more enjoyable use of time! Just have to wash off all the labels and head to my LHBS for the tree.

Thanks all!

[quote=“davepelton”]no dishwasher…live in an apartment and that is not supplied. And as for the box the bottles are shipped in… I decided to drink my way to 48 bottles. Seemed like a more enjoyable use of time! Just have to wash off all the labels and head to my LHBS for the tree.

Thanks all![/quote]
Good plan! A couple tips that I wish I knew when I started in this game: be sure to rinse your bottles very thoroughly immediately after using, to avoid mold buildup (yes, you would think this is common sense, but my friends don’t seem to understand this). When you’re ready to remove labels, soak them in a warm OxyClean solution for 60 minutes or more. Otherwise, removing labels is a huge PITA.

[quote=“davepelton”]I decided to drink my way to 48 bottles.
[/quote]
I just noticed the number. You will want more like 54 clean, sanitized bottles per five gallon batch.

thanks for the info. I just actually tested 6 bottle soaking in hot dishsoap water and that was a PAIN! And just opened a 6pack of Ale Asylum so that would put me up to 54.

A cheaper and still effective method is baking soda. Fill your sink with hot water, add 1/4 cup of baking soda, and soak bottles for an hour or too. I found that removing some labels was easier than others. For those tricky bottles, use a piece of steel wool.

try to keep dish soap away. it could leave a film that will destroy your head retention. get some Oxyclean instead.

i use a watered down dr. bronners concentrate as my dish soap… and on the last wash i do a ridiculous hot blasting rinse with a bottle washer for about 15 seconds. then i do a vinator star san squirt. do you think i’m still at risk for head destroying film?

+1
Steel wool will get even the hardest labels and glue off.

hmmm steel wool, never thought of that
but I have noticed…the smaller the brewery, the harder it is to remove the labels

Sam Adams and Schells peel right off
the micro brewery ones are truly a battle to removed them

funny… :slight_smile:

The stone bombers with the clear plastic labels…Leave them on or recycle them. It’s not worth the trouble!

i use a watered down dr. bronners concentrate as my dish soap… and on the last wash i do a ridiculous hot blasting rinse with a bottle washer for about 15 seconds. then i do a vinator star san squirt. do you think i’m still at risk for head destroying film?[/quote]
I’d say you’re going a bit over kill for cleaning a bottle. how much ever energy you want to put into cleaning glass.

NO energy at all… Put the bottle in an Oxy-Clean solution for 90 minutes and labels fell right off. No scrubbing at all!! Thanks guys

[quote=“Ekffazr”]hmmm steel wool, never thought of that
but I have noticed…the smaller the brewery, the harder it is to remove the labels

Sam Adams and Schells peel right off
the micro brewery ones are truly a battle to removed them

funny… :slight_smile: [/quote]

I should keep track of all the different one’s I’ve tried and the difficulty.

Summit’s have actually been the hardest for me.

New Glarus has been the BEST for getting labels off, but I only pick those up when I’m going through sconnie. New Belgium’s have been easy to peel off also.