Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Bottle conditioning Porter

Hi All,
I brewed a batch of Baltic Porter a couple of months ago, and it has now been in the bottles for 2.5 weeks. I have noticed very little carbonation in the bottles. From what I have read in other posts, it looks like I should just wait until the yeast can do their work, or that you can move them around some to keep the yeast active. At this point I am wondering if this is as good as it will get or should I keep waiting. Anyone who can fill me in on whats happened to my batch would be much appreciated. From what I can tell the ABV was about 6.94% at the time I bottled.

Unclear from your post whether you have actually opened one yet. I find it very hard to tell from looking at a capped bottle. If you have opened one and found it flat, inverting the bottles every few days and giving it more time should help. Bottle fermentation temps on the warm side 75 degrees or so is widely recommended.

I Agree. Our brew club brewed ABaltic Porter this year and all came out great. Its always a good idea to invert bottled beer during aging/carbonating every few days…I,ve had good luck so far. :cheers:

Some beers can take up to 6 weeks to condition normally. Give it time and warm conditions >70F

I have opened one, and it was nearly flat. Temps are around 72 currently. When you say invert, does that mean gently, vigorously, or somewhere in between?

I slowly turn the bottle upside down twice then place it back in the case in a dark space and repeat every few days as necessary. The sediment should be dislodged into solution by the process. 72 degrees or even a little warmer should be fine.

Sounds good. Thanks fore the info. I opened one last night and it did have a good bit more carbonation - and more tasty than the first one I opened. I still think it needs another week or so. It’s actually been in the bottle now for 24 days. I moved it upstairs where it is usually a few degrees warmer (74-78 F)

Now you’re on the right track.

You,ll be in fine shape … porters and stouts take longer to get good anyways…Tank :cheers:

Yeah I let my 1 gal batch of Rum Runner Stout bottle condition for 2 months and now its amazing. Patience is hard learned yet rewarding. You’ll be fine.

I am starting to think that either most beers need more than the standard 2 weeks or more sugar to properly carbonate. I have only made 5 batches, but it seems none are as carbonated as I would expect.

Yeah the “standard” two weeks isnt a standard at all. My beers consistently take 3-4 weeks to fully carb. Sometimes even more.

The higher the alcohol, the longer it will take generally for bottles to carbonate. I would say ~7% is pretty high alcohol. I would expect these to carbonate in a good 4 weeks time, maybe 5 weeks, and they might continue to slowly build carbonation for a couple of months.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com