Bottle Conditiong

I made the Irish Red kit about a month ago. A little over a week ago i bottled it and there is almost no carbonation in the bottles. I tested one today and it was just better than flat. I am wondering what this could be??? I checked the bottles and there appears to be yeast at the bottom, but when I agitate teh bottle the yeast looks like it is in clumps like parts of hop leaves instead of silty or cloudy. I thought the yeast may have gone dormant, so I put the bottles in 80-85f water for about 20 min then moved them to our laundry room where it is a bit warmer. Any ideas on what else I should do to see if i got the priming mixture wrong or if it is a yeast issue. The bottle I opened today had a gravity of about 1.012 and the final gravity when i moved it to the secondary was 1.010 so i know there is a little sugar in there…

Any info would be great
:cheers:
Ryan

Perhaps some more specific information on your priming process?

[quote=“ryanmtaylor77”]I made the Irish Red kit about a month ago. A little over a week ago i bottled it and there is almost no carbonation in the bottles. I tested one today and it was just better than flat. I am wondering what this could be??? I checked the bottles and there appears to be yeast at the bottom, but when I agitate teh bottle the yeast looks like it is in clumps like parts of hop leaves instead of silty or cloudy. I thought the yeast may have gone dormant, so I put the bottles in 80-85f water for about 20 min then moved them to our laundry room where it is a bit warmer. Any ideas on what else I should do to see if i got the priming mixture wrong or if it is a yeast issue. The bottle I opened today had a gravity of about 1.012 and the final gravity when i moved it to the secondary was 1.010 so i know there is a little sugar in there…

Any info would be great
Ryan[/quote]

doesn’t sound like an issue anywhere. 1 week isnt long enough. leave it at room temperature for 2-4 weeks. should be carbed by then.

Yes, give it more time in the bottles to carb up. When it does, let us know us know about it. This may help future homebrewers.
Cheers.

+1 to the giving it at least another week! Patience, although difficult is a brewers best friend! And by the way…the Irish Red Ale is certainly worth the wait…I’ve brewed it a few times and it’s always delish! Enjoy!

I brewed NB Irish Red about 3-4 months ago and it went almost 4 weeks until they carbed up. Just
wait it out.

Fill a soda bottle when you make your next batch. Squeeze to O2 out and screw the cap on. The bottle will expand as CO2 is formed. No wondering what is happening in the glass.

And like mentioned, 3 weeks or more before sampling. Even if the soda bottle has expanded. The CO2 needs time to get into solution.

You can tip and shake the bottles daily to keep the yeast mixed up.

Thank you everyone, i will wait it out. I guess i am just anxious. To answer about the priming process i measured out the .64 cups recommended on http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/. However, i got a scale after i had bottled and a little over half a cup was no where near 128 g. That was my concern on priming. I boiled 2 cups water with the corn sugar and put that in the bottling bucket. Then racked from my secondary to the bucket. Stirred for about 30 seconds then started bottling into 16 oz and 32 oz bottles. I know the 32’s will take a bit longer than the 16’s.

I will wait it out, keep turning every few days, and hopefully this will be ready by St. Patty’s Day!!!

Ryan

I went through the same thing. Tried the red after only a week of bottling. Tasted off and the carb was low and weak.

I waited a week. It was good.

I waited two more and it was awesome.

Patience = the brewer’s friend

Thank you all for the info! Just cracked one open today and i guess i was just anxious. Little on the light side of carbonation but another week should take care of that. Also notices tasted much better. Cant wait to try a few with friends next Sunday!!!

This is good news for me also. I brewed up an Extract of Caribou Slobber as it was the first batch I ever tried and it turned out awesome!
This batch (#5 overall, #2 of C.S.) of Slobber I used a heating pad on low as the basement is about 57*F. I adjusted the priming process per one of the guys at N.B. based on my 4.25 gallon batch instead of the expected 5 gal., waited 2 weeks and disappointment :frowning: . Waited another week, and it’s a little better, so I’m hopefull that I didn’t wreck it, and this thread reinforces what I was hoping.

FoamFollower   :cheers: