Bottle caps

Just a quick newbie question. I just finished bottleing and I had 15 to 20 caps left over that had been soaking in star san. Can I dry and use those caps next time or are they shot. They are the gold caps from NB. Thanks

You can definitely use them for your next batch.

2 caveats to that.

1. If they are the oxygen absorbing type than once they get wet they lose that; but I’m pretty sure they will still work like normal caps.
  2. Make sure you really dry them. I put some away after thinking they were dry and I ended up with rusty caps. Again, maybe usable, but I pitched them.

I try to sanitize only what I need, but at $3.50-$5.00/gross I don’t get too upset about wasted caps.

2 caveats to that.

1. If they are the oxygen absorbing type than once they get wet they lose that; but I’m pretty sure they will still work like normal caps.
  2. Make sure you really dry them. I put some away after thinking they were dry and I ended up with rusty caps. Again, maybe usable, but I pitched them.

I try to sanitize only what I need, but at $3.50-$5.00/gross I don’t get too upset about wasted caps.[/quote]
Sometimes we over-complicate things here (myself included). Even if they are O2 absorbing and were previously activated, they can still be used and they will work just like standard caps. :wink:

I’ve used previously sanitized and air-dried O2 absorbing caps without losing a wink of sleep or an ounce of good beer.