Bottle Bombs

It sounds more like beer hadn’t reach FG and restarted after you roused the yeast by racking to your bottling bucket and added yeast. Try again and see if you get different results.

I looked at my notes and had the same FG as you…your cleaning practices seem fairly intense so that is on the face of it less likely. ( I don’t do the white vinegar or the dishwasher OR the bottle tree :oops: ). Tubes/hoses are the biggest cleaning issue I have…mystery.
Overall bummer I’m sure. Better luck next brew !

Agree with this. If it was an infection (which I don’t think it was), it wasn’t from badly cleaned bottles if you had the same results with the whole batch.

Agree with this. If it was an infection (which I don’t think it was), it wasn’t from badly cleaned bottles if you had the same results with the whole batch.[/quote]

I also agree with this. I’ve used a whole five ounces of corn sugar before (in somewhat less than a full five gallon batch I might add), and, while it was very well carbonated, it was nowhere close to volcanoing or becoming a bottle bomb.

I had the same thing happen to a batch of Caribou Slobber I made recently. While I didn’t have any bottles actually explode, every bottle in the batch was a volcano-like gusher. I’m pretty sure it was an infection, because the beer had a very dry, almost tart flavor to it; something that was definitely not present in my first batch of CS. Minus the vinegar rinse, I use the same method for cleaning my bottles as you do, so I don’t think that infection occurred in the bottles, but rather at some point when transferring from secondary to the bottling bucket. Sorry to hear about the loss, I feel your pain! :cry:

Make sure to take your bottling bucket spigot apart and clean the recessed part with a toothbrush. I have found gusher causing “gunk” in there. I am sure your bottles are clean. One more brick in your challenge to be a brewer. Good Luck!

Most importantly, don’t rush future batches. If the gravity seems to have finished high, it probably has not actually finished. Rouse the yeast and give it more time before bottling.

How would you recommend rousing the yeast in a presumed stuck fermentation situation?

Gentle stir with a sanitized spoon.

Or a gentle swirl of the carboy/bucket.

Ok, thanks! Good to know. Haven’t had this problem yet but if you make enough beer just about anything can happen when dealing with microbes…brew day today in fact! Yay! It’s been too long. Making the Tallgrass Halcyon wheat real brewery recipe.