Boiling for 30 minutes or less

I’m planning a hopbursted Columbus IPA with additions only at 15 minutes and later, which will still accomplish 70 theoretical IBUs. The malt bill is almost entirely pale ale malt, and has no pils. Is there any reason that I couldn’t do just a 20 or 30 minute boil if I adjust my volumes?

I’m not trying to cut any corners, so if there’s a reason I’m unaware of (other than blowing off DMS), I’ll stick with 60.

Driving off DMS is the primary reason for a 60-90 minute boil. 40min is the half life of DMS, so a 30min boil will not even get rid of half your dms. I don’t wanna go too far into the math, but your not going to even be driving off 40% of the DMS present… that could certainly cause some flavor issues, unless thats the kinda profile your targeting I guess.

You can try it, but I would lean in favor of a full boil. No sense in potentially skunking a whole batch because you wanted to save 30 mins. If you were going to just try it out on a test batch of 1 gal or so, perhaps that might not be so bad. But i certainly wouldn’t try it on a full batch.

A 15-minute boil might not get enough hot break. For hopburst-only beers I’ve had good results with a 30-minute boil, although the final product can be a bit hazy.

Trimack - My understanding is that the DMS potential of Pilsner malt and Pale Ale malt are vastly different. The vast majority of DMS precursors that are present in Pils are denatured (or similar verb) during the extra kilning that takes place with Pale Ale malt. The reason I asked is that I’ve never heard any discussion of DMS being a problem with any base malt but Pils.

I ended up using a 30 minute boil at a slightly higher boil vigor than normal. I was concerned about the lack of protein coagulation as well, but I didn’t notice any significant increase in post wort turbidity. I used Super Moss HB as usual, and saw the normal amount of break material after the whirlpool as well. I was also a bit concerned about pH reduction, but what I found (a reduction of .13) matches the vast majority of 60 and 90 minute boils.

I’m relatively confident it will turn out like it would have with a 60 minute boil, minus a bit of melanoidin formation / kettle carmelization, but with a more vigorous boil, I may still have gotten plenty of that.

Thanks guys! I’ll follow up once the beer’s dry hopped and tapped. Unfortunately, I’ve never brewed the beer before, so I don’t have anything to reference as ‘normal.’

True, no worries about DMS with pale ale malt.

bk - Thats an interesting approach. I’ve not heard that about pale malt and DMS. I have of course heard that Pils is a DMS beast and really needs a 90 minute boil, but had not heard about any vast difference in pale.

Let me know how it turns out :slight_smile: I’m interested what kind of flavor profile a beer with a 30m time will have

[quote=“Trimack”]I’m interested what kind of flavor profile a beer with a 30m time will have[/quote]Same as a beer with a longer boil, except that you have the option to add a bittering charge to the longer boil.

I have routinely done 90 minute boils with pilsner malt out of fear that DMS might linger. Then I checked some of the stuff in Brewing Classic Styles (for example Pizza Boy Dark) and it calls for 90 minute boils for recipes with no pilsner and all 2 row (with flaked corn and some dark malt). I am not sure of the reason for this, but have followed it blindly, given the stature of the authors…

What say you wise forum readers?

DMS is only a worry in light-colored malts like pilsner or 2-row. Anything darker from pale ale malt on up doesn’t have enough to worry about. I always do at least a 90 minute boil with pilsner or 2-row.

It may be due to my wide kettle / large surface area / high boil off rates, but I’ve only ever done 60 minute boils with everything but Pils, and 75 minute boils with 100% Pils. I’ve never had any DMS problems, even recently took a golds with German Pils and Kolsch in a huge competition. If it’s not a problem, it’s not a problem.

Welp, the 30 minute hopbursted IPA has been dry hopped, carbbed, briefly lagered, and tapped. I compared it to another IPA with the same malt bill (just different hopping), and it is a shade lighter - But that’s all I could tell you is different.

It’s perfectly clear, and has no off flavors to note (I’m a decent taster, I promise). I’m not sure what effect the shorter boil would have on shelf life, and it might make some difference, but this keg will be gone in the next couple of weeks, so I won’t find out.

Bottom line, it totally worked, with no obvious consequences. In fact, I feel like I have no reason not to continue doing so in the future, as long as the recipe accommodates it.