Boiler Wind Shielding

I made my first brew with my new Blichmann burner yesterday. I’m in the Chicago area and it was 30 deg.F and windy. I try to shield my burner with trash cans etc. Although, better than my turkey fryer burner I wasn’t excited with my new burners performance after brewing. Bugged me so much that after cleaning I set up the burner in my garage (opened the door a bit) and I got:

(5 gal. in my keggle)

60 - 160 = 12 minutes (10 advertised)
68 - boil = 19 minutes (22 advertised)
168 - boil = 6 minutes (7 advertised)

Without the wind I could really dial the flame in with the vent. I don’t like brewing in the garage because in the back of the house I can keep an eye on things and take care of other business plus I would like to go NG.

Has anyone built a wind break or shield for their boiler - maybe fold-up.

Thanks,

Mike

Im sure people have but I just wrap tin foil around teh burner all the way up till its around the base of my kettle. Works pretty well.

I have one of those 6 foot plastic folding tables that I’ll turn on it’s side and angle around one side of the burner.

Or a card table. I also have a ring of roof flashing (probably 16 inches wide) that I can put around a single burner on the ground. I brew inside my garage with a service door and window open and that works best.

:cheers:

My brewstand has a built-in wind screen that surrounds the keggle/burner on 3 1/2 sides to create a “chimney effect” that I feel significantly reduces my propane usage.

Can you post a pic?

Thanks

I’ll see if I can take one today.

I made a three sided frame with some scrap 2x4s & 1/2" plywood I had. I sit the open side of the frame downwind and stand the plywood against the three sides of the frame and clamp the plywood to the frame with c clamps. Then I put my burner inside of the frame work. It works great for me.
Man be careful using your burner in the garage. Like I have posted before, I worked for over 35 years in the gas dept. of a utility co. I have see first hand what carbon monoxide can do, It’s not to pleasant seeing people being carried out of a building in body bags from the effects of CO poisoning.

Good Luck,
Jazzman

I have been pondering getting a metal garbage can or a barrel and cut the bottom out and have it to serve as a wind break and also as a chimney as was also mentioned.

I’ve seen someone use metal culvert to do that.

I went to Home Depot and bought a roll of aluminum roof flashing. They have it in 6" 12" and 18" I believe. I think I got the 12" that is the height of my Bayou Classsic SQ14 burner. I then cut sections with tin snips and fastened it to the legs of the burner using ~3/16" bolts & nuts. So now the burner looks like a pyramid with a flat top. Sorry no pics. It works great as a wind shield and as someone else mentioned seems to channel the heat up better. Only downside (if you can call it that) is I have to put aluminum foil under it so it doesn’t burn the bench I brew on.

At Lowes, there are rolls (in different widths) of metallic insulation. I’m not sure what it’s called, but they are silver-colored and FLEXIBLE.

After trying to wrap sheet metal around my Bayou burner several times (quite awkward), I bought a roll of this stuff, cut it to length, and have been using it to great effect for about five years now.

I attach the ends with velcro. There have been 0 problems with this stuff.

[quote=“beermebeavis”]At Lowes, there are rolls (in different widths) of metallic insulation. I’m not sure what it’s called, but they are silver-colored and FLEXIBLE.

After trying to wrap sheet metal around my Bayou burner several times (quite awkward), I bought a roll of this stuff, cut it to length, and have been using it to great effect for about five years now.

I attach the ends with velcro. There have been 0 problems with this stuff.[/quote]

You may be thinking of Reflectix.
I use it to insulate my HLT and MLT. May also use it to insulate my newer BK. Just know that if it gets too hot, it will melt.

I’ve been meaning to fabricate a collar/barricade around my banjo with flashing and rivets. Just haven’t gotten to it yet.

Here’s a shot of the wind shielding on the keggle system. Sorry so messy, in the middle of a brew session tonight.