Boil Pot used for Ribs

I got up this evening for work to discover my wife had used my 6 Gal pot to simmer her memorial Day ribs in. Then, she used an SOS pad to clean it. Do you think a good soak and scrub in Oxy will return it to form? I use it to heat my strike/sparge water in.

Paul

P.S. The ribs were delicious

I’d say a good majority of turkey fryer pots used for brewing started off with turkeys & oil; mine did. You’ll be fine. Besides, a hint of pork in any beer can’t be a bad thing right?

Yeah, That actually crossed my mind, too.

You’ll be fine.

Thanks, Guys. I guess I just wanted a little assurance.

You are going about this all wrong . . . . Tell her you talked to the guys on the forum, and everyone said the same thing - once the pot is used for something like that, the taste will linger into future brews. Probably the only thing you can do is keep the “old” pot for cooking, and get a new (bigger/better of course) pot to be used exclusively for brewing. As long as you are getting a new one, it only “makes sense” to get something that you won’t have to replace later, so something with a thermometer, spigot, etc. Win, win . . she gets a “new” pot for cooking, you get a new pot for brewing:)

mmmm, ribs… How were they?

I recently ran 100 pounds of crawfish through mine… then brewed a Helles lager :slight_smile: You’ll be alright.

I boil a few gallons of water with some halved lemons tossed in to help rid any lingering oders. Then I leave it out in the sun for an afternoon then give it a good rinse.

While in my house it is a misdemenor to use a brew pot to cook, it is a felony to boil ribs.

I would have been more concerned about he ribs. IMO, it is just wrong to boil them. Ribs belong on the grill or in a smoker, at low heat, for several hours. After about 3 hours at low heat, if you simply wrap them in alum foil for 1-2 hours, they will come out soooooo tender you could gum them off the bone.

cheers.

+10 :slight_smile:
Boil beer, smoke the ribs!

BEEEEER!!! AND RIIIIIIBS!!! ARRRRRRG!!! ARRRRRRG!!!

+1

Rub them. Braise them. Grill them. Sauce them.

To get tender ribs you slightly boil them to tenderize then smoke them. I use my pot for other things I’m careful not to scorce anything and clean promptly with SOS and dawn and a scalding hot rinse, before i brew It’s dawn unscented and washing soda

[quote=“rhino3hh”]To get tender ribs you slightly boil them to tenderize then smoke them. I use my pot for other things I’m careful not to scorce anything and clean promptly with SOS and dawn and a scalding hot rinse, before i brew It’s dawn unscented and washing soda[/quote]I get very tender ribs in the smoker. Ribs don’t belong in water. If you really want to get flamed, ask for a boiled rib recipe here → http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/

Tricky b-stard. Love it :slight_smile: [quote=“Wahoo”]While in my house it is a misdemenor to use a brew pot to cook, it is a felony to boil ribs.[/quote]
Agreed. Steam bake first then grill.

Dry rub, smoke with a mix of oak and hickory low and slow, eat.
IMO good juicy ribs do not need the sauce. :wink:

Dry rub, smoke with a mix of oak and hickory low and slow, eat.
IMO good juicy ribs do not need the sauce. :wink: [/quote]

I just add enough to carmelize on the grill. For me it’s:

Step one: Rub with brown sugar, chili powder, salt, old bay, and cayenne. Let rest for at least two hours in the fridge.

Step Two: Slow braise at low heat in oven (around 225) for about 3 hours in a mixture of white wine, worchestershire, garlic and honey. At this point the ribs can be sectioned and refridgerated until time to serve.

Step three: Heat on grill for about 10 minutes then hit with a spicy bbq sauce both sides and turn until carmelized.

I wish I had (room for) a smoker… I’d love to try to prepare them other ways, but for now, this recipe has proven to be legendary :slight_smile:

Now I’m hungry. :cheers:

I use spare ribs (St Louis cut) as they are much more meaty than baby backs.

I do a rub with paprika garlic powder black pepper and white sugar.

Smoke with apple and cherry wood for about 5 hours.

Homemade sauce only, just at the end, brush it on.

I do a dry rub the night before: black pepper, red pepper, white pepper, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt. Then brown quickly over direct heat on the grill while the wood-chip box comes to temperature. Then I move them to the opposite side of the grill, add the wet wood chips to the smoker box and keep it over the high heat. Turn off 3 of 5 burners; #4 at 50%, #5 at 100%. That keeps my grill at 250-275F. After 3 hours or so, wrap in alum foil. At approx 5 hours , remove from foil and schmear with BBQ sauce and back into the grill. Eat at 6 hour point.

tasty!