Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Boil over!

Ok, it happened after many batches. I got the new Edelmetall and I ran it too hot and boy did it come a gushing. So, I either scrapped the whole evening of brewing as I didn’t have a chance to get to NB to pick up more malt or I press forward. So, I added some water and finished my boil. I am way short on wort even after adding to the primary. I had a yeast starter ready so I pitched that last night and its fermenting away.

So, has anyone else done this and threw caution in the wind and continued like I did? It was just a basic pale ale so it is not the end of the world. Lucky I was in the garage and my garage floor is sealed so clean up was easy. I’m guessing my batch is screwed but since I was at that stage I finished.

Oh, 3 of us were watching the boil and it happened so fast none of us could react, if the beer is bad it is a lesson learned for sure and if it somehow turns out it then I guess I got lucky.

Any comments are welcome, I’m guessing this has happened to others but I am curious to others results.

Thanks!!!

Buddha

Boil overs happen all the time on gas set ups. You lose some ingredients but if you don’t top with water the beer should have the same make up/same taste. Keep a spray bottle near by and spray the foam cap when it gets too large. Or switch to electric :mrgreen:

You can do what many large breweries do and use Fermcap-S.

There are two critical times when boil overs occur and that is when you have to be on your toes in anticipation. First is moments before the wort begins to boil. The foam will blanket the entire top surface of the wort and then BOOM. If you can get past this without issue, then the second time to be careful is immediately after adding the first hop addition. It can get very violent within the first minute after this. Get past those two and you should be fine.

I call it very close on all brew sessions as I am looking for 22 finished gallons in a 25 gallon pot.

I even bought Fermcap for the first time and was going to use it but I forgot.

You’ll never forget again!!! Gotta love the fermcap. :cheers:

+1 to MullerBrau. A spray bottle of plain ole water works fine without adding chemicals to the beer. I use a single drop of fermcap in my starters since I’m on my wife’s stove and boil in a pyrex erlenmeyer flask, but not needed for wort boils.

[quote=“MullerBrau”]There are two critical times when boil overs occur and that is when you have to be on your toes in anticipation. First is moments before the wort begins to boil. The foam will blanket the entire top surface of the wort and then BOOM. If you can get past this without issue, then the second time to be careful is immediately after adding the first hop addition. It can get very violent within the first minute after this. Get past those two and you should be fine.

I call it very close on all brew sessions as I am looking for 22 finished gallons in a 25 gallon pot.[/quote]
This is correct, but you can reduce the critical moments from two to one by making sure you boil for about 10 minutes before adding the bittering hops. That gives the wort enough time to let the hot break fully occur before you add the hops, which would otherwise act as nucleation sites for the hot break to glob onto. First hop addition won’t go violent and risk boiling over that way.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com