Boil Off Question

I’ve been brewing for several years. I started with 6 gal. in the keggle and only got 4 gal. in the primary. I’m one that drains all but maybe quart or so from the pot. My BeerSmith prediction was .65 gal. boil off and I’m guessing I had close to 1.5 gal… Did I just boil too violently?

Thanks,

Mike

No, you believed Beersmith. Remember, it’s a tool to help you brew…it’s not instructions on how to brew. You need to determine your own boil off and enter it on Beersmith, not let Beersmith tell you what it is. Be sure to use gal./hr., not %.

I find that I evaporate more when it is dryer out (like dead winter). Like Denny says, learn your system and adjust your tools to suit.

I start with 25 gallons and usually end up with 22 gallons.

Thanks guys. Two things I can think of that have affected my evaporation. First it’s somewhat dry out today and I have recently switched from a turkey fryer to a keggle. The surface area must be at least doube.

Guess big boil off was a good thing today - my mash eff. was off for some reason and after the boil I was spot on target gravity. This was the first time I used my new 70 Qt. tun - my old tun was a 48 Qt. cube. (hope this didn’t affect my eff.???)

Mike

I did a boil using only water to find out what my boil off rate was. Takes an hour of your time and you will know your true rate.