Boil off from a Blichmann 10g boilermaker

Does anyone know have an estimate of the boil off they get per hour of their Blichmann boilermaker. I just bought one and am trying to tweak my next recipe to compensate for it. Beersmith has it at around 0.37 gallons over an hour for a standard kettle but that seems a little low. My current kettle loses almost a full gallon over a 1 hour boil

Last Brewday mine boiled off 1/2 gallon over the course of 1 hour boil.

:cheers:
Rad

Thanks!

I’m trying to learn as much as possible before I start my first brew in a couple of weeks, and I haven’t read much on the topic of boil off. I’m going to do a full 5-gallon boil for my first batch (in a Polar Ware 10.5 gal brew pot, if that matters).

The general procedures that I’ve seen have been to boil with 5 gallons and then add water to the fermenter later to compensate for what was lost during boiling. Are there any upsides or downsides to starting with more water (maybe 5.25 gal?) to try to reduce the amount of water that’s added after the boil?

I would plan for 0.5 gallon loss due to boil-off and another 0.5 gallon loss to sludge at the bottom. If you start with 6 gallons of water, you should be right around 5 gallons when finished. Better to start with more water and account for loss than topping off the fermenter.

It’s variable, but I tend to lose about 1 gal per hour in my 10 gal Blichmann.

Boil off will also depend on the diameter of your kettle and how vigorous the boil is.

If you’re really wanting to know, fill it with 2 gallons of water and test how long it takes for a given amount to boil off.

[quote=“CP83”]I’m trying to learn as much as possible before I start my first brew in a couple of weeks, and I haven’t read much on the topic of boil off. I’m going to do a full 5-gallon boil for my first batch (in a Polar Ware 10.5 gal brew pot, if that matters).

The general procedures that I’ve seen have been to boil with 5 gallons and then add water to the fermenter later to compensate for what was lost during boiling. Are there any upsides or downsides to starting with more water (maybe 5.25 gal?) to try to reduce the amount of water that’s added after the boil?[/quote]
The recipe I have calls for 5.25 Gallon in the fermenter. I probably lost a 1/2 gallon on my first brew.

I don’t have a scientific measurement but going by the sight glass in my ten gallon pot I go though 1 gallon per hour. However now that Its colder outside I’m going though a bit more due to the fun of thermodynamics. Not much more though.

Since I use my brew pot to heat the mash tun water and generally am brewing IPA I start with 8 gallons of water, and though grain absorption, boil off loss and sludge loss I end up with generally just over 5 gallons in the fermenter.

I have the 10 gallon boilermaker as well. I use the blichmann propane burner and lose 1.15 gallons per hour.