Boil kettle filtering

I’m just starting out with All Grain brewing up from extract. I’m kinda feeling a bit perinoid about hops and the like not getting filtered out when i transfer into my fermenter. Would a hop spider or using mesh bags for hops help? Or something else? Would primarily be using pellet hops.

I use a hop spider and i strain the wort going into the fermenter…mainly for the oxygenational properties :grinning:

I generally find most of the stuff from the kettle settles to the bottom of the fermentor easily enough. I pour through a strainer to get most of the hop matter, but the rest goes in. A bigger deal is straining from your mash/sparge into the kettle.

Oxyg… what? Now thats a HUGE word! where in the world did you find that word?:confused: Sneezles61

1 Like

To clarify I’m using a pump to transfer

Its new :grinning:

1 Like

That’s not the real word. It should be oxygenationalistical. I have a degree in languagistics.lol

1 Like

I’ve heard of using a piece of stainless steel wool on the intake tube (or the inside of the valve in the kettle if you’re doing it that way)

Cheers,

Ron

You’d hear a thump and look at the floor next to you and see, :dizzy_face: Sneezles61

Obviously using a spider or mesh bags will help keep the bulk out of the fermenter. Other tricks are to create a whirlpool (with a pump or just by good ol’ fashioned stirring) and then allowing it to settle.

I wouldn’t be too anal about this. It’s mostly an old wife’s tale that trub causes problems in finished beer. In fact read This and This one.

1 Like

I just like it for cleaner yeast harvesting.

1 Like

I’ve used a copper scrubber pad around my BK dip tube the last few batches, and that works great.