Blowoff tube: 'less' bubbling than airlock?

Using a blowoff tube for the first time (along with a yeast starter of Wyeast 3724) on an NB saison on a batch I brewed on Memorial Day.

I was expecting a more aggressive initial fermentation than I’m seeing - there is some bubbling, but not nearly as “regular” as some of my 3-piece airlock batches - though I know that’s not always an accurate indicator of what’s going on inside the plastic bucket fermenter.

I can feel some pressure on the lid of the fermenter, and if I press down lightly I do get some bubbling out of my tube - which would seem to prove it’s not clogged. Temps are waffling between mid to upper 70s.

Do blowoff tubes generally provide less obvious bubbling than an airlock?

How long ago did you pitch the yeast?

Mid-afternoon on 05/28. It had been on a stir plate for about 24 hours and then cold-crashed over night.

I’m not familiar with the yeast, but if you have pressure on the lid then the yeast is doing its job. Relax, let it go.

Fluid dynamics: like water through a hose, small hose = fast and large hose = slow for same volume.

RDWHAHB.

:cheers:

FWIW, I brewed a batch on 5/28 with a big yeast starter and am using a fairly large blowoff tube. I’m seeing pretty vigorous activity - a large bubble every 1 second or so.

as long as you’re seeing some action, I’m sure its ok.

[quote=“StormyBrew”]Fluid dynamics: like water through a hose, small hose = fast and large hose = slow for same volume.

RDWHAHB.

:cheers: [/quote]

+1 I’ve used a blowoff tube for a couple batches and each yeast seems to react differently. Some produce the vigorous activity that micahkoll is referring to and some batches are fairly slow. I’m sure your fine!