Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Blatz Extract Clone?

Hey all,

Yup you read the title right I’m looking for a Blatz clone recipe. A friend of mine has an annual event and always gets a half barrel of Blatz for it. He asked me if I could brew something similar for this years event.

So what do yall think?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

Nick

Blatz as it is made today is just a generic light lager (it was once a fairly decent brew that originally had a rather pleasant malty character). These days, it’s practically the same as a dozen other BMC lagers and like other “legacy” brands, it’s basically just a label that gets very little care by the current owners of the brand with regard to following the original recipe).

So I’d say just get the lightest extract you can find, brew it with 10% sugar, and hop it to around 8-10 IBUs. If you don’t want to use a lager yeast, you can probably get away with using 1056/05. Just be hyper-clean in your procedures with regard to sanitation; there will be nothing to hide mistakes behind with a beer like this.

You can brew the following linked recipe, but use 3.75 to 4.0 lb light DME instead of just 3.25 lb, since Blatz is a regular strength beer, not light. I haven’t brewed this recipe myself yet, but in my humble opinion, I’m willing to bet it will come out reasonably close.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=114017&p=1005496&hilit=+bud+light#p1005496

OK guys thank you I really appreciate your input! I will see what I can do.

[quote=“dmtaylo2”]You can brew the following linked recipe, but use 3.75 to 4.0 lb light DME instead of just 3.25 lb, since Blatz is a regular strength beer, not light. I haven’t brewed this recipe myself yet, but in my humble opinion, I’m willing to bet it will come out reasonably close.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=114017&p=1005496&hilit=+bud+light#p1005496[/quote]

Right. But to clarify, ‘light’ was referring more to the color of the brew as it did back in the stone age (that is, before Dr. Owades invented ‘lite’ beer). :mrgreen:

Consider brewing a Classic American Pilsner. I made a batch following Palmer and Zainasheff’s recipe in “Brewing Classic Styles…” and it was excellent.

I never drank Blatz back in the good ole days and can’t say that CAP will equal classic Blatz. I can say the Palmer and Zainasheff’s CAP will be enjoyed by (almost) everyone. The only problem some drinkers will have is that it has some flavor and actually tastes like beer.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com