Blast from the past beer

I have a few cases of homebrew that I have been shuffling around for a lot longer than I thought. Opened one full case yesterday and found it full with no labels or markings. Hmm what is it? On the side there was a small piece of paper taped to the case “Christmas '03”. Wow almost 11 years old :shock:

Popped on in the fridge to try later today. What do you think will happen. My choices are: 1. Fizzes completely out of the bottle. 2. Tastes like nothing after so long. 3.There must have been a reason it was never drank up so if it was way over spiced it mellowed out.

I might be able to dig out the original recipe from the box of old ones that is somewhere in the house. Without it there is no way to tell what ABV or ingredients where used. I’m not hopeful it will be any good but who knows.

I tried a 7yr. old Barley wine once that was outstanding so one never knows. I’m curious so let us know what you get.

Will do. Should be open this afternoon.

I opened the antique beer yesterday and discovered why it had not been consumed. It is way over spiced. Ginger I believe. Must have been waiting for it to mellow but after all these years it still is overpowering. Oh well, no more moving it around. It’s last destination is the drain.

Aww man… wonder what you would have thought an additional 11 years from now when you found it! :lol:

It didn’t taste all oxidized? That would surprise me.

Hard to tell. Can’t get past the spice taste. We have a beer bread “kit” that I am even afraid to use a bottle in for fear that it will be ruined. A friend gave us two of these. The first one was a dark bread that I used a Guinness in. It was pretty good. All you have to do is mix in a 12oz bottle of the beer of your choice and bake in a 9"X5" bread pan at 350 for 50-55 min. A little off topic but very good for how easy it was.

you should brine up some asian baby back ribs with it. or pork tenderloin. Or a pork shoulder. Or water your garden.

Agreed. Or beer can chicken.

Agreed. Or beer can chicken.[/quote]
Yeah, that could be good. You wouldn’t even have to use the whole bottle…

Too bad there isn’t maybe some type of device that you could build with some parts from the hardware store that would allow you to put the horrible tasting batch of beer into and then apply some heat and then it would maybe remove the alcohol at the other end. I don’t know, just sayin.

[quote=“HD4Mark”]I opened the antique beer yesterday and discovered why it had not been consumed. It is way over spiced. Ginger I believe. Must have been waiting for it to mellow but after all these years it still is overpowering. Oh well, no more moving it around. It’s last destination is the drain.[/quote]I remember over gingering a Christmas beer about that time frame as well. Mine were volcanoes too so down the drain they went. Ginger and clove are two spices which are not so good when over used.

I have a digital book that explains how to build such a device. Haven’t done the actual construction though.

Don’t know if you’ve seen em, but little cubes of sugar impregnated gummy ginger, and I bit into one and thought if it went into the brew to be very careful how much. It’ll go a long way.