Black IPA Yumminess!

So I moved the Black IPA to secondary today and everything is looking and smelling great so I guess I did it right so far.

OG - 1.082 @ 65ish
FG - 1.026 ish so far

Nice and black now and tasted great…dry hopped with 1 ounce of cascade pellets and I can’t wait to taste it in a week when I bottle it and even 2-3 weeks after its been in the bottles.

is this the extract kit from NB? debating whether to buy the kit or make my own PM recipe for a CDA/Black IPA. i love this style, have you tried the widmer brothers pitch black IPA? thats probably the best ive tried from a dozen or so types.

on another note, how long was it in primary? your racked over to secondary at 1.026? what yeast did you use? wyeast or safale? did u make a starter? thats a pretty high gravity, hopefully fermentation will begin again in the secondary and drop a bit for you.

[quote=“hrpuffinstuff”]is this the extract kit from NB? debating whether to buy the kit or make my own PM recipe for a CDA/Black IPA. i love this style, have you tried the widmer brothers pitch black IPA? thats probably the best ive tried from a dozen or so types.

on another note, how long was it in primary? your racked over to secondary at 1.026? what yeast did you use? wyeast or safale? did u make a starter? thats a pretty high gravity, hopefully fermentation will begin again in the secondary and drop a bit for you.[/quote]

Yes, it was the extract kit and no I have not tried the pitch black, might have to looK for it.

In primary for 12 days and since the gravity was 1.026, which is pretty close to the lowest you will get from the extract kit I decided to rack it to secondary today and dry hop it. It might come a bit lower, but if not who cares, it tasted great to me. I used the wyeast 1272 and made a 1.5 liter starter and it had about 21 hours on it when I pitched it. I pitched the whole thing into the carboy and did siphon anything off the top. Another note is I ferment at low temps in my basement, 58-60, it seemed to like that temp for fermentation, but I believe it will also work at higher temps.

It’s a good kit if you ask me…I will for sure make it again if it turns out after bottling.

im sure it will be delicious. :cheers: i think im going to get the extract kit, or possibly the all grain kit if i make a mash tun this week. or i might do a brew in a bag…still undecided obviously. seems like you got a bit higher OG than the kit expects. even if it stays at 1.026 thats almost an 8% brew! good shit.

and thats all that matters.

how long are you leaving it in the secondary? going to check the SG at bottling?

[quote]
how long are you leaving it in the secondary? going to check the SG at bottling?[/quote]

With a 1.026 today I’m only leaving it 5-7 days and then bottling…my guess is it will go down to 1.022 at best by then which will make it about 7.9-8.1 ABV. For sure will check FG at bottle.

try using the alternate formula for higher gravity brews, i.e. above 6%.

the standard formula is:

ABV = (og – fg) * 131.25

the alternate formula is:

ABV =(76.08 * (og-fg) / (1.775-og)) * (fg / 0.794)

heres a link to an online calculator with both:

[quote=“hrpuffinstuff”]try using the alternate formula for higher gravity brews, i.e. above 6%.

the standard formula is:

ABV = (og – fg) * 131.25

the alternate formula is:

ABV =(76.08 * (og-fg) / (1.775-og)) * (fg / 0.794)

heres a link to an online calculator with both:

[/quote]

I have always used OG-FG * .129, is pretty close to yours, but thanks for the link.

ABV only tells me how fast I’m getting drunk anyway…lol

This really is a great beer. We’ve gone through our first and are fermenting the second one as we speak

My buddy brewed this up but mistakenly pitched wy3522 instead of his pack of us-05 :roll: but it turned out pretty nice, I imagine it would turn out really nice with an American ale yeast.

We must be on the same brew schedule. I have this same batch (all grain) sitting , just dry hopped it. Gravity was 1.014. I used the 1272 Yeast (no starter). However, my OG was low @ 1.072. I will be kegging this batch. Looking forward to the taste. Also I dont usually use secondary, so this come to the keg right outta primary.

Should give me ABV of about 7.6%

I made NB’s Black IPA extract kit a year ago. It was great! Just a little too sweet with a FG 1.020, but that’s just my opinion. I brewed it again after converting it to a partial mash and again good, but just a little too sweet with a FG of 1.024 this time. I’m now building an all grain recipe for a Cascadian Dark Ale (or Black IPA) that I’m trying to cut down on the sweetness. I’m trying to dry it out a little more by using some different specialty grains and mashing lower. We’ll see how it comes out.

I bottled today and learned do not just dump the hop pellets into the brew for dry hop :slight_smile:

FG was 1.024/6ish so no real change.

I could drink this uncarbonated… :slight_smile: . For sure a brew again and again…

Brewing 2 batches this weekend I think …Arrogant Bastard clone and something else. Not sure for the 2nd one yet.

Ok, I just could not wait…I had a bad day so I threw one of these in the freezer for 40 minutes and I’m drinking it now. I have to say this is for sure a make again. In the bottles for 6 days only and it is very nice…can’t want to see how it is in a week or two.

It’s on the list of brew again for sure. I would like to make it a little lighter as it seems heavy, but man is it good.