Black IPA Recipe Opinions Please

I am planning to brew up a black IPA this weekend. Please take a look and tell me what you think.

12 lbs Brewers Malt 2-Row (Briess)
12.0 oz Carafa III (Weyermann)
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
12.0 oz White Wheat Malt

1.25 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min

0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins)
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins)

2.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min
0.75 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min

2.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min
0.75 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min

You may want to consider Midnight Wheat Malt or Blackprinz for your color/slight roast. Not sure if carafa will give you what you’re looking for (but that depends on what you’re looking for).

I would also use the Chinook (or ideally another neutral high-alpha hop) at bittering, and leave the simcoe for later.

What yeast?

I am looking for a coffee note in it. Maybe even a hint of mocha. I was planning on using safale 04 as it has never steered me wrong. Hmm, just looked at the midnight wheat, sounds pretty good. I think i will substitute that for the carafa. I wonder if i should remove the white wheat since i’m adding this.

yeah, that was actually another question I had. Not sure of the purpose of the white wheat, but if you are looking for some body/slickness, maybe a small percentage of flaked barley or flaked oats?

I had pulled it from a recipe that i had found online. I was thinking that it was there for head retention. Admittedly though, this is going to be only my second all grain batch and I’m really just feeling my way around right now.

I’d reduce the Carafa III to about 6 oz and change the 60L to 8 oz 80L and add some chocolate malt 6 oz. This will give you the nice roasty notes that combine well with the hops. Shoot for about 75 IBU and 1.060 OG.

I would second Midnight Wheat for color. If you do want a touch of coffee I would use a very small amount of roasted barley. No more than an ounce or two though, IMO.

Hops are of course personal choice/taste, but when using Simcoe (I’m not the biggest fan) I prefer to use a small amount along with citrus hops. But again, this is just my personal taste.

My black IPA has about 8% Blackprinz (debittered black) and 8% medium crystal. A blend of Simcoe, Chinook, and Cascase. Neutral ale yeast. I think it has a nice balance between the roast and piney hops. I’d say your recipe looks great. Get the debittered Carafa III, if you can. Midnight wheat would be good too.

I actually like simcoe a lot myself, but you are leaning pretty heavy on it. Personally, switch an ounce at 5 minutes for citra or cascade, depending.

I disagree. Simcoe goes great in black IPA. I don’t know if you could use too much. My recipe, for what it’s worth, uses a blend of 2oz each of Simcoe, Chinook, and Cascade. I add an ounce FWH, then all the rest is at the end. Sometimes I’ll split the remaining 5 ounces into 5 different additions or throw all 5oz in at flame out and do a hop stand. This is for a 4 gallon batch, by the way.

Thanks for all the input guys. I modified my recipe based on a few of your comments. Can’t wait to brew. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

I disagree. Simcoe goes great in black IPA. I don’t know if you could use too much. My recipe, for what it’s worth, uses a blend of 2oz each of Simcoe, Chinook, and Cascade. I add an ounce FWH, then all the rest is at the end. Sometimes I’ll split the remaining 5 ounces into 5 different additions or throw all 5oz in at flame out and do a hop stand. This is for a 4 gallon batch, by the way.[/quote]

I would second this. Simcoe, columbus and Chinook give it a great dank/allium (ie garlic/marijuana) character. This works great in IBA’s/BIPA’s/CDA’s (aka Cascadian Dark Black India Black Ales…black).