Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Black IPA question

http://hopville.com/recipe/1440601/home ... -black-out

Please take a look. My thought was to take a 6 gallon batch and split it… One with US-05… The other with Bohemian Lager @ ale temps like a Baltic Porter or a Cali Common… Please let me know what ya think! Thank you!

That seems good enough for me. A little busy for me with the midnight wheat, carafa III and roasted barley for coloring but then again I’ve been working on trying to keep my recipes simple lately so that just might be me.
Is that Maris Otter supposed to be at 0?

[quote=“mplsbrewer”]That seems good enough for me. A little busy for me with the midnight wheat, carafa III and roasted barley for coloring but then again I’ve been working on trying to keep my recipes simple lately so that just might be me.
Is that Maris Otter supposed to be at 0?[/quote]

My browser at work has a glitch… It wont let me delete… I thought about dumping the roasted barley… Its really not needed. I was going to use it as a base but just used 2 row…

I would drop the roasted barley. It will give you astringent flavors. Black printz is more of what you are looking for I believe.

And it is going to be one piney thing. between the chinook, flaconers, simcoe. Which is not a bad thing. especially with the cascadian darks IMO.

It will be an interesting experiment to taste the final products… Yeah as far as the RB I thought the same thing. I didn’t want the astringent flavor. Just a nice roast backbone. Decent retention and body.

Baltic Porter is usually fermented at lager temps and lagered, I believe. But I think fermenting with Bohemian lager yeast at 62F or something would be nice. I just ordered a smack pack of that, planning to brew some German lagers, maybe I’ll try my black IPA recipe with it at 60-62F, for shiggles.

I just did a baltic porter using Cali Common Lager yeast. I was able to hold fermentation @ 60. Turned out really good. Bohemian lager is supposed to perform really well at 66…

IMO I would drop the oats and the RB it’s going to give it too much of a stout like flavor and take take away from the hoppiness.

http://hopville.com/recipe/1440824/impe ... thawk-iipa

[quote=“HellBound”]IMO I would drop the oats and the RB it’s going to give it too much of a stout like flavor and take take away from the hoppiness.

http://hopville.com/recipe/1440824/impe ... thawk-iipa[/quote]

I was thinking that the tiny amount of oats would a just a touch of slickness softness to the mouth feel.

I’d keep the oats. I have made two ipa’s recently that have been crowd faves. Both had oats, one with one pound and the other half pound. I think it carries the hops accross the tongue better. And adds the “slickness” you mention. Call me weird but thats what I think. Also, a local brewery here in MT uses oats in all of their ipas, and they are solid brews. My 2cents Cheers

It would but with the carafa, you should get the same result I think.

Ya, after reading that it’s only 4 oz. in a 14 lb grist , I think it would be fine, probably even pretty good.

I cannot wait to see what happens with the lager yeast!

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com