Black IPA dry hopping in the keg - off flavor

I recently brewed the extract Black IPA for the first time and transferred to a keg dry hopping with 1.5 oz of Cascade. I was excited because I tasted it out of the carboy and it was excellent and better than expected. Put it on the CO2 and took a quick sample from the faucet the next day and it was totally different. Taste isn’t medicinal, but something doesn’t seem right. I’m good about sanitizing so I’m not sure and wanted to find out if it has to do with the timing of the new hops only being in a day or if this foul flavor will stick around. Hope it wasn’t something about the keg or brew getting infected in that short time because it was so great out of the carboy.

Give it a bit more time and then, after you pour it, let it warm just a bit. I find my black IPA always taste better a bit warmer. I don’t find roasted and darker malts taste to my liking when they are 38-40 degrees.

I brewed that beer, drinking it now actually. At first I thought I might have an infection of something too. I described the off taste as astringency. It’s not getting worse and smells fine so I don’t think it got infected, but still after a few weeks in the bottles it’s not quite right. Maybe after some more aging it will be better, it did get good reviews but im still not loving it. Just a thought maybe it had something to do with the malt syrup maybe some older product?

you’ll have to be more descriptive with the off flavor.

does it taste grassy or like vegetable? like paper or cardboard? like cheese? like vinegar? sour? ike vomit? a better description might help diagnose the issue

This beer took a little while to mellow when I brewed it a while back

Based on the options above I would say cardboard might best fit. Almost like if you chew on scotch tape :smiley: It was in the primary for 5 wks then straight to the keg with the Cascade pellets in a hop bag. The fact that it tasted good 24 hrs prior when I drank the last remaining beer out of the auto-siphon is what confuses me and why I questioned if the newly added dry hop bag would cause it to taste “off”. Usually I don’t place directly into the fridge and instead use the keg as the secondary.

I’ve brewed about 40 batches and had 1 infected batch, but even if it was would it cause the entire 5 gallons to taste bad in 1 day? Maybe I should just pull it out of the tap fridge and let it sit for a couple of weeks so it can mellow at 70 degree temps and see what happens.

cardboard is a sign of oxygen getting into the beer post fermentation. could be the transfer had some O2 getting into the beer. maybe by splashing

Did you purge out the O2 with your CO2? Reason I ask is I almost forgot to do that the other week with a Belgian triple I kegged. I was in a hurry and wanted to get the job done so can put the beer to bed for a few months. :cheers:

[quote=“jlr1027”]Based on the options above I would say cardboard might best fit. Almost like if you chew on scotch tape :smiley: It was in the primary for 5 wks then straight to the keg with the Cascade pellets in a hop bag. The fact that it tasted good 24 hrs prior when I drank the last remaining beer out of the auto-siphon is what confuses me and why I questioned if the newly added dry hop bag would cause it to taste “off”. Usually I don’t place directly into the fridge and instead use the keg as the secondary.

I’ve brewed about 40 batches and had 1 infected batch, but even if it was would it cause the entire 5 gallons to taste bad in 1 day? Maybe I should just pull it out of the tap fridge and let it sit for a couple of weeks so it can mellow at 70 degree temps and see what happens.[/quote]
I had a similar “scotch tape” flavor in a beer and found that it needs to be very cold for you not to taste it. This was in a blonde, so you may find the dark malts will hide it better. My solution was 4oz of dryhop and drinking it below 40*F.