BJCP style ? Bourbon barrel porter

Entering a version of NB Bourbon Barrel porter. Opinions on style? I am thinking either 22b (smoke flavored) or 22c (wood aged) - I used about 25-30% smoked malt in it. used med toast+ cubes. used makers mark bourbon.

Are these the style areas to look at?

Also, for base style in 22b and 22c, should I list Robust Porter?

Any help would be appreciated. Newbie to entering beers in competition.

I would put it under 22c. How much bourbon did you use?

[quote=“Braufessor”]Entering a version of NB Bourbon Barrel porter. Opinions on style? I am thinking either 22b (smoke flavored) or 22c (wood aged) - I used about 25-30% smoked malt in it. used med toast+ cubes. used makers mark bourbon.

Are these the style areas to look at?

Also, for base style in 22b and 22c, should I list Robust Porter?

Any help would be appreciated. Newbie to entering beers in competition.[/quote]

Depends on how it tastes. If it’s quite smokey then 22b. If the oak is more prominent then 22c. If the bourbon is prominent then you might want to put it in style 23 (specialty Beer), which might be the safest bet.

If the base beer is a Robust Porter recipe then list 12b as the base beer. If it’s not that strong then list 12a as the base beer.

Cheers!!!

Thanks for the input, here are a few more of the details in case it helps.

It had OG around 1.072, finished at 1.018. I used about 14 oz. bourbon in 5 gallons of beer. 2 oz. med. toast cubes.

10lb maris otter
4 lb smoked malt
1lb choc.
.5lb black patent
.5 crystal 120

If the wood is prominent, I would probably enter it in 22c listed as a Bourbon Barrel-aged Smoked Robust Porter.
Otherwise I would enter it in 23.

I think this is a Category 23. There’s an awful lot going on with this one.

Its up to you, but I’ve seen them do pretty well in category 23 recently.

Thanks for all the insight -I appreciate the advice.