Bitterness

I have brewed an IPA OG 1.060 and 1.010 FG. I force crrbed it and after 1 week in the keg it was delicious, after another week and clearing it has become less malty and more bitter, no off flavors just more bitter. the recipe was
11.50 Marris Otter
1/4 lb crystal 10L
1/4 lb crystal 40L
1.5 oz Crystal hops- 50 min
1.50 Crystal hops- 30 min
1.50 Crystal hops -15 min
1.50 Crystal hops- 5 min
1.50 Crystal hops- knockout
This recipe is from Zynurgy magazine, it called for mashing at 150 deg and boil for 90 min, I mashed at 154 and boiled for 60 min
Fermentis 05 yeast
Any thoughts on why the flavor would change as it cleared, it is not undrinkable (just had one)
It supposed to be a clone of Rogues Bitter Bitter thank you

Probably carbonic bite…is it super effervescent? Might have over carbed

Matthew, that is quite possible, how could I remedy that? thank you

Yup…turn off the gas and burp the keg… wait a few minutes and burp again…you can pull the release valve and let all the gas out but there is still gas in solution being released so keep releasing gas until it loses that carbonic bite and it fits your taste…works for me everytime

Thanks Matthew for your prompt reply, I’m on way my to start purging.

I bottle my beer and have noticed after 5 months or so they are all over carbonated and the taste hase the same kind of bite regardless of the beer. I thought the taste was from oxidation. Could it be this “carbonic bite” you describe, and is there a cure for bottled beer?

[quote=“Corey”]I bottle my beer and have noticed after 5 months or so they are all over carbonated and the taste hase the same kind of bite regardless of the beer. I thought the taste was from oxidation. Could it be this “carbonic bite” you describe, and is there a cure for bottled beer?[/quotfix i

slightly pry the caps until it hisses out some gas but dont remove the cap or damage the cap…simply release some gas from the head space and let them sit for a few hours and repeat until you reach desired level of carbonation…If foam starts spraying out you are prying too much…after releasing the pressure fasten the cap with your capper

Oh yeah once you burp your keg a few times turn the gas back on to make sure your keg is sealed set it to 8-9 psi and let it equalize…and thats it

Nighthawk, I purged the keg after the 2 time I no longer a phsst and continued anyway for 3 days and set pressure to 8 lbs. The beer was better, especially after warming up to 50 deg, however still bitter.
I just purged for 3days is that enough? From now on I will just set at serving pressure and forget it for a week. It needs at least a week to condition anyway.

I don’t have much to add. Without running numbers on a program ( would need to know the AA for the hops) it doesn’t seem to high on the IBU’s.

Have you had beers with Crystal hops before? Maybe they don’t agree with your palate.

I have used Crystal hops before (3.5%) the same recipe with the the same results and another recipe with a single grain M.O. using Galena and Cascade, I missed the OG on that one and it tasted the same.Due to some health problems I didn’t brew for a year so it sat for about a year, before dumping it I tasted it and it was like a hoppy session beer,quite good. I think you are right about the cabonic bite, I force carbed by cranking the pressure up to 30 lbs and rolling it in the floor for at least 15 min. then set the serving pressure at 12 lbs for a week. I just checked Beersmith and the Brutal Bitter’s OG should have been 1.066 and the actual was 1.060 no doubt that also contributed to the bitterness. What I don’t understand is that, a couple days after kegging it was very good. Rogue’s Brutal Btter is my favorite, I don’t know why they named it that as it is neither bitter or brutal, but a very nicely balanced IPA.