Bitter Orange

Have Bourbon Barrel Porter still in primary. I bought 1 oz bitter orange to add to make a little different flavor profile and I’m not sure how much to use. I just want a hint of orange.

Half oz or one ounce?

I’d suggest a half. When I use orange, I give the bag the peels are in a squeeze after soaking in the fermenter. Letting the rinds sit passively and pulling out without squeezing is kind of a waste. I noticed a huge difference when making NB’s Brickwarmer when I squeezed the peels after letting them soak after the end of the boil. The rinds have that spongey quality to them and squeezing gets that orange flavor out. It’s really about how much to squeeze IMHO.

Bitter orange is for bittering, like in a wit. You won’t get much orange flavor from it.

But don’t they tell people to add those to the secondary or end of boil in wits? Most wit recipes I have seen have a neutral or noble bittering hop, then bitter/curacao orange during conditioning (?)

To the OP, if it is orange flavor you want, I would zest up (if you don’t have a zester buy one) a navel orange, a tangello, and a tangerine, then cover in vodka for an hour, strain the vodka out (discard or drink), and add the zest in a muslin bag to the fermenter. Taste periodically and pull the bag out when it gets to the flavor you want.

Some people swear by making a tincture and adding that, but I’ve had boozy flavors come from doing that. I make my witbier this way, and I effing love it (38 @ NHC this year, but didn’t get past first round).

But don’t they tell people to add those to the secondary or end of boil in wits? Most wit recipes I have seen have a neutral or noble bittering hop, then bitter/curacao orange during conditioning (?)[/quote]

In a wit, traditionally bitter orange is for bittering and coriander is for the orange flavor. Try tasting the peel and see if you detect any orange flavor.

[quote=“Graybeard2”]Have Bourbon Barrel Porter still in primary. I bought 1 oz bitter orange to add to make a little different flavor profile and I’m not sure how much to use. I just want a hint of orange.

Half oz or one ounce?[/quote]

Why would you want to add orange to a bourbon porter? That just doesn’t sound right.

OK, I’m convinced this is a bad idea. I’ll just add bitter orange to excess inventory and use some time later.
I’ll probably add some orange flavor to a bottle or two when I bottle to satisfy myself.

Thanx to you all for your input.

I added some orange (bitter and sweet) in secondary to a porter and it was good. You do get an orange oil flavor. Its not terribly subtle stuff, I’d maybe add 1/4oz if you just want a hint. its a good combo though, kind of like that chocolate orange candy.