Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Birthday Cake Ale Recipe Question

I am new to all grain brewing and was wondering if anyone could give me advise on my amounts and when to add the extras… I am trying to brew a beer that I sampled on a brewing tour that was called birthday cake ale which had honey, blood orange, coconut, and vanilla in it. I am planning on using:

9 lbs Rahr 2-row American Malt
2 lbs flaked oats
1 lb Briess Carapils Malt
0.5 lb lactose
2 lbs Minnesota Clover Honey
1 oz sweet orange peel
4 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
1 lb shredded coconut
1 oz US Liberty Hops
1 oz US Cascade Hops
Wyeast 1056 American Ale Yeast

The biggest question I have is if I need to place the orange peel and shredded coconut in a muslin bag to confine them. Or will they settle out prior to bottling if I just pour them into the wort… Don’t want pieces of coconut and orange peel in my beer.

Also is the 0.5 lb of lactose a good idea to add a small amount of sweetness to the beer.

I plan on adding the hops and extras in the last 5 minutes of boil.

Thanks for any suggestions. :cheers:

Interesting. The lactose will add sweetness but 8 oz isn’t a lot. I’ve never used coconut but I think it can cause some head retention issues if boiled. I would probably put the orange peel in the boil and coconut in a paint strainer bag and stick it in the keg or carboy at the end of fermentation. I’d also mash a bit higher as the honey will dry this beer out a bit. If it is lacking body at the end of fermentation, you can boil up some maltodextrin and add it to the fermenter. I did this recently with a coffee porter that over-attenuated (damn US-05) and it worked well. Lastly, I’d use a whole vanilla bean rather than extract. Good luck!!

Mashing with actual coconut will help you with achieving a coconut flavor.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com