Biofine

Does biofine stop the fermentation process?

My thoughts are that it is supposed to be used to drop out yeast at the end of fermentation so stopping it should not be a concern. OTOH if your beer is not done fermenting dropping out the yeast you would think it would stop it. Guess I didn’t really answer the question but you could try using the contact at Kerry and ask http://www.brewing-solutions.com/?pagina=Contact Post back if they give you an answer.

I probably should explain, I have a Kolsh in secondary and has cleared up quite well on its own. I put the Biofine in after 3 weeks of fermentation and plan to ferment 2 more weeks. Will it condition or ferment any different than waiting another 2 weeks? Seems minor but was just wondering.

Probably should just drink a couple of beers and stop wondering. :blah: Post back if they give you an answer.[/quote]

I did post the question, so I will let you know what they say.

it probably finished fermenting in 3 weeks. did you take gravity readings?

I think you’re confusing fermenting with conditioning. It should ferment out in a couple weeks, then condition a couple more weeks. Biofine will drop the yeast out of suspension, and it will do that most effectively at cold temperatures after fermentation is complete. After biofine is added, you can condition the beer as long as it needs without harm. It will condition differently because it will clear more quickly. In my opinion it will condition better.

I wouldn’t add biofine during active fermentation.

I’ve never used Biofine, buat am curious… How does it compare to gelatin? Does it clear a chill-haze or just yeast? Does it have any negative impact on flavor (particularly on highly-hopped beers)?

I’m curious about this as well. I used this on my tripel recently for the first time and it dropped it CRYSTAL clear. I was impressed by how well this stuff works. I am going to be doing an IPA here once it warms up a bit outside and am curious what effect this will have on dry hopping.

For the record ive never used gelatin so i don’t have anything to compare it to as far as effectiveness but this stuff is way easier to use. Put a few drops in 5 gallons and cold crash.

I use biofine clear regularly. It’s by far my favorite fining agent. IMO it workes better and faster than gelatin, plus it’s a vegan product. I’ll typically put it into a bright tank, purge with co2, then fill it to ensure a good mix and begin to carbonate. It usually clears up within 48 hours. I can’t comment on chill haze, because I have yet to have that issue.

I use it in all styles (except maybe Hefe’s). While it MIGHT strip some hop flavors, I have not noticed enough to justify not using it.

If it’s not mixed in well enough, it might not work. You also have to use different amounts depending on the severity of haze.

So if I was to use Biofine at bottling time and added the priming sugar would that be a plan for failure?

Not sure on that one. Never tried bottle conditioning with it. I would probably fine it in the secondary, then bottle after it is clear. BUT i’ve never tried, so I’m not sure what would be the best option.

Biofine is used as a processing aid to flocculate yeast at the end of fermentation. It does not stop fermentation.

Regards,

Jonathan Doyle Ph.D.
Business Development & Applications Manager - Beverage

Sorry for the late reply, was on vacation and promised I would not look at a laptop, PC, phone, or tablet while I was there.

[quote=“S.Scoggin”]it probably finished fermenting in 3 weeks. did you take gravity readings?

I think you’re confusing fermenting with conditioning. It should ferment out in a couple weeks, then condition a couple more weeks. Biofine will drop the yeast out of suspension, and it will do that most effectively at cold temperatures after fermentation is complete. After biofine is added, you can condition the beer as long as it needs without harm. It will condition differently because it will clear more quickly. In my opinion it will condition better.

I wouldn’t add biofine during active fermentation.[/quote]

Gravity reading was 1.015, needs to get to 1.013. Yea, it’s the reason I am asking the question. Using biofine, was one of those things I did without really thinking.

[quote=“Klosterbräu”][quote=“S.Scoggin”]it probably finished fermenting in 3 weeks. did you take gravity readings?

Gravity reading was 1.015, needs to get to 1.013. Yea, it’s the reason I am asking the question. Using biofine, was one of those things I did without really thinking.[/quote]
“NEEDS” to get to 1.013? why? :wink:

Only your yeast can determine where the FG will be. If it settled at 1.015 after 3 weeks it was probably done.

Was this an extract batch or AG? If AG at what temp did you mash?

If extract well it is what it is. Extract recipes don’t always create the most fermentable wort. You can’t always expect to reach an FG just because the instructions say that’s what you’ll get.

How much yeast did you pitch? Did you make a starter?

[quote=“dannyboy58”][quote=“Klosterbräu”][quote=“S.Scoggin”]it probably finished fermenting in 3 weeks. did you take gravity readings?

Gravity reading was 1.015, needs to get to 1.013. Yea, it’s the reason I am asking the question. Using biofine, was one of those things I did without really thinking.[/quote]
“NEEDS” to get to 1.013? why? :wink:

Only your yeast can determine where the FG will be. If it settled at 1.015 after 3 weeks it was probably done.

Was this an extract batch or AG? If AG at what temp did you mash?

If extract well it is what it is. Extract recipes don’t always create the most fermentable wort. You can’t always expect to reach an FG just because the instructions say that’s what you’ll get.

How much yeast did you pitch? Did you make a starter?[/quote]

“Why” - I’ve been using a some brewing software that has worked very well for me. I have hit the estimated FG on the last 5 all grain brews right on the number. I did use a yeast starter and had a good 4 inch thick layer of krausen. My OG was 1.051, my mash temp was 151 for 90 min.

I got my answer which you confirmed, I put it in too early, but it shouldn’t matter. :cheers: