Bigger kettle on stove?

[quote=“Abrnth3”]WHAT EVER YOU DO, DO NOT USE YOUR WIFES NEW GLASS TOP TO BOIL ANY AMOUNT ABOVE A GALLON !!! It will cause the glass to crack or even explode.!!!

Gas is optimal for home brewing.[/quote]

Yep this happened to us after about 5 3 gallon batches. Completely ruined a glass top stove. Luckly my wife is my brew partner so I wasn’t in the doghouse. Gas is much much better for brewing and everyday cooking in every way except for ease of cleaning imho

Yeah no doubt. Right now I am on the fence if I should buy a keg system next or a Bilchmann floor burner

I heard those blichman burners are sweet, esp since they don’t soot up your kettle…

I guess you get what you pay for

I’d go with a burner before getting any kegging equipment. I feel I have more control with the burner. Lots of BTU’s to get the boil going quick and then I can turn it down to keep the nice boil going. With my stove I had issues getting the 3 gallon partial to boil.

Fermentation control > Full wort boil > kegging > AG is the order I typically recommend. Unless someone doesn’t have a lot of funds available then I’d say AG before kegging.

Hey - we are alomost neighbors (I’m in Orland Park). I would really suggest that you get a burner from a turkey fryer set-up for that big pot. This is the right time to buy since some places have them on clearance right now with Thanksgiving just behind us.

Mike

silly question but what is AG? All grain?

yeah