Bigger kettle on stove?

I’m upgrading from my 5 gal brew kettle to a 10 gal Megapot. The goal is to work up to full volume boils, but I’ve seen a couple posts that have mentioned issues caused by bigger pots on stovetops. In the interim before I get the propane burner setup, is it unwise to use the Meapot on my stove? I’m planning on doing 3 and 5 gallon batches.

From what I have read you can use it , you just might need to use 2 burners. I’m sure it all depends on the amount of liquid in the pot.

if it’s an electric stovetop there is a chance you could blow out your burners causing them to break.

I used an 8 gal pot for a few years on two burners. It helps if you make a spacer for coils, but the weight and prolonged heat will burn them up eventually.

You might be OK with 3 gal batches.

Gas stove…not optimal, but I’m on a bit of a budget (new house, fixer up expenses, etc). Plus I’m not in a rush to brew outside until the spring anyway. I’m cool with two burners…just wanted to make sure I didn’t jack up my stove.

You should be OK on a gas stove. :cheers:

Gas stove is DEFINITELY optimal! Depending on the BTU, etc, but you should have no problem doing full batches on it, assuming it can handle the weight. I can easily do full batches on my Jennair gas cooktop. Granted, it is the big @$$ restaurant style one, so weight isn’t much of a factor. The only reason I even keep my outdoor cooker around is because SWMBO hates the smell of the brew day. Needless to say, I try to start my brew on the cooktop before she gets home to put a stop to it!

Oh I agree about gas being optimal…I meant that the stove (as opposed to a kick ass burner setup) was not optimal.

I would recommend trying it. We did several 5-6 gallon batches last winter in a 10 gallon pot on the stove with no problem using 2 or 3 burners (stove has a center burner) The beer turned out great but brewing really heated up the kitchen.(15-20 degrees!) We decided to move the operation outside after it got warmer out, I think it would have been unbearable in the summer.

I did a full boil on stovetop with my 7.5 gallon pot. My carbon monoxide detector went off later when I was cleaning up. I would recommend you run the hood the whole time if you have one or brew with the windows open and fans on. I don’t have a hood and it’s cold out now so I gotta go outside on the propane.

I got a wide 8 gallon pot, and it worked on the gas stove, but threw so much heat out to the sides from under the pot, that it melted some of the plastic control knobs.
I got kicked out to the garage with a propane stove.

The 5 gallon pot is big enough for the 3 gallon batches.

I did a 3 gal BIAB that ended up being a 4.25 gal with 2 burners on a gas stove. Granted I think I started with a bit more water than I should have (amateur :roll: ). I got to a boil but it wasn’t very strong, the burners on my apartment stove are old and wimpy.

It works, especially if you have a newer stove with some more BTUs.

WHAT EVER YOU DO, DO NOT USE YOUR WIFES NEW GLASS TOP TO BOIL ANY AMOUNT ABOVE A GALLON !!! It will cause the glass to crack or even explode.!!!

Gas is optimal for home brewing.

[quote=“Abrnth3”]WHAT EVER YOU DO, DO NOT USE YOUR WIFES NEW GLASS TOP TO BOIL ANY AMOUNT ABOVE A GALLON !!! It will cause the glass to crack or even explode.!!!

Gas is optimal for home brewing.[/quote]

What? I did a 3 gallon batch on my glass cooktop and nothing happened. I also do 3 gallons of soup on it pretty regular.

[quote=“tszabo86”][quote=“Abrnth3”]WHAT EVER YOU DO, DO NOT USE YOUR WIFES NEW GLASS TOP TO BOIL ANY AMOUNT ABOVE A GALLON !!! It will cause the glass to crack or even explode.!!!

What? I did a 3 gallon batch on my glass cooktop and nothing happened. I also do 3 gallons of soup on it pretty regular.[/quote]

I used to do 6 gallon batches on mine all the time.

No kidding. I don’t brew on mine, but I boil pasta, soup, wort for canning, and even my pressure canner. :roll:

The only time I’ve heard of a glass cook top cracking is if you accidentally pour cold water on it when its very hot.

[quote=“Ozwald”][quote=“tszabo86”][quote=“Abrnth3”]WHAT EVER YOU DO, DO NOT USE YOUR WIFES NEW GLASS TOP TO BOIL ANY AMOUNT ABOVE A GALLON !!! It will cause the glass to crack or even explode.!!!

What? I did a 3 gallon batch on my glass cooktop and nothing happened. I also do 3 gallons of soup on it pretty regular.[/quote]

I used to do 6 gallon batches on mine all the time.[/quote]

How long did it take to start boiling 6 gallons? LOL. It took me exactly 1 hour to get 3 gallons to a rolling boil on mine.

:lol: I cheated & used a couple 5 quart pots on other burners. I could bring the two little pots almost to boil pretty quickly. It was just a matter of pouring them back in & using a big measuring cup to transfer it back into the little pots. It was a real long time ago & my memory’s not that good, but it still took quite a while… and made a bit of a mess.

But I was still brewing beer, so it was fun all the same.