Big Mouth Bubbler

What do you guys think?

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/big- ... allon.html

Seems pretty sweet. Would make cleaning and dry hopping in the primary a lot easier.

I’m definitely interested. Sort of kicking myself for buying one of the normal bubblers not to long ago. Maybe this is the excuse I need to finally replace my plastic primary bucket… although I guess I would be losing some light protection.

I want it in PTE plastic, and 7gal. Although I’m pretty satisfied with Better Bottles.

I don’t think cleaning carboys is very hard at all. PBW and hot water soak, then brush lightly and rinse with the bottle blaster.

This is what I do, minus the brushing. Soak for 24 hours gets all the crud off. These “carboys” would save water, so you wouldn’t need to soak. But it’s not a huge deal, I guess.

Not a fan of plastic, Lennie, from an environmental standpoint. But there are pluses and minuses to whatever you use, just have to choose your battles I guess.
I have been liking using 6 gallon carboys for the 4 gallon batches I brew. It’s nice to have more options though.

If they would only make them in a 2g size. :wink:

I really like the wide mouth idea. Definitely worth getting if you prefer glass and you dry hop in a carboy. Not really an issue for me, since I dry hop in a keg.

The only real downside that I see is the need for a specialized lid. I don’t see an extra lid as an optional add-on.

If you’re making a specialized product like this, why not make it slightly larger so you can comfortably fit 5.5 gal. with lower/eliminated blowoff?

[quote=“kcbeersnob”]I really like the wide mouth idea. Definitely worth getting if you prefer glass and you dry hop in a carboy. Not really an issue for me, since I dry hop in a keg.

The only real downside that I see is the need for a specialized lid. I don’t see an extra lid as an optional add-on.

If you’re making a specialized product like this, why not make it slightly larger so you can comfortably fit 5.5 gal. with lower/eliminated blowoff?[/quote]

It comes in a 6.5 as well, does it not?

[quote=“Stealthcruiser”]
It comes in a 6.5 as well, does it not?[/quote]
Yes. I want bigger. 2 gallons of headspace would likely mean no blowoff ever.

As I was stuffing and cramming muslin bags of hops in my primary the other day I was wishing for a wider mouth… I suppose I’m obligated to buy a couple of these now…

If you do, let us know what you think, how you like it. Could be something to consider for me, but I like the way I start my siphon now (carboy cap, push with co2). I’d have to use a different method or autosiphon with these carboys.

Man, those look sweet. I can’t believe it took somebody this long to come up with that idea. Personally, I’m thinking about scaling back my recipes to 2.5 gallons so I can brew more often. I have a couple 3-gallon glass carboys that haven’t had much use. They’re still the standard small opening, but they’re pretty manageable for handling.

I’ve enjoyed fermenting in buckets, but I do miss the visual action. I wonder how these would work for making sauerkraut or pickles? My wife ordered a bunch of 1-gallon bail-top widemouth jars, and had the lids drilled to accept a #9 stopper and an airlock. They work great for making fermented vegetables, but the 1-gallon size is kind of limiting.

I may order one of these and throw down a massive batch of kraut - I just want to be sure that they’re airtight. We’ve had good success with the bailtop jar method, since they are airtight. We’ve tried a bunch of other methods in the past and have always had some spoilage and off-flavors due to oxidation. I’m really excited about the possibilities these things could hold, both for brewing beer and for fermented foods.

Kevin, I was thinking the same thing as I have been looking into brewing 1G batches as tests before I commit to full 10G batches…

Want to go I business on this? :?

Kevin, I was thinking the same thing as I have been looking into brewing 1G batches as tests before I commit to full 10G batches…

Want to go I business on this? :? [/quote]

I did a quick Google search and came up with this 2.5 gallon glass jar
http://www.meijer.com/s/anchor-hocking-2-5-gallon-barrel-jar/_/R-298230?CAWELAID=330003980001030818&cagpspn=pla&cmpid=Google-G_US_Meijer_eCom_PLA_Kitchen_Dining&gclid=CNP5p8ej_LoCFYhcMgodNDwAMg&kpid=85679

The main questions is - how well does it seal? I’m guessing you’d end up cutting a silicone gasket to fit in the top, and you still might have issues. Plus, you’d have to drill the lid, which can be tricky. Looks cool, though.

At first I was balking at the $22 price tag, but then I read the description.

[quote]The Anchor Hocking 2.5-Gallon Barrel jar has a barrel panel design and comes with brushed aluminum lid and handle. Use to store a variety of items or fun candies.

Storage jar
Glass
2.5-Gallon capacity
Brushed aluminum lid and handle
Measures 9.65"L x 9.65"W x 13.03"H
Care instructions: Wipe clean.
[b][size=125]Made in USA[/size][/b]

[/quote]

Well worth the price tag. :wink:

The Big Mouth Bubbler is an excellent idea; all the benefits of a carboy without the cleaning hassles. The main concern I have with it, is carrying it. I have handles on all of my carboys, making them much easier to move around. Those will obviously not work on this thing.

I guess I could use something like the Brew Hauler. But this is the one drawback I see with the Big Mouth.

If they outfitted it with a carrying handle, it would be damn near perfect.

I love the idea, but not that price. A 6 gallon better bottle with airlock and bung is going to be $10 cheaper than the big mouth without those items, plus I don’t have to worry about having to use a carrying harness (an additional $20).

Now if Better Bottle came out with their version of the Big Mouth in 3,5,and 6 gallon sizes, I’m all in.

[quote=“Yesfan70”]I love the idea, but not that price.

Now if Better Bottle came out with their version of the Big Mouth in 3,5,and 6 gallon sizes, I’m all in.[/quote]

This^^^^^^.

For now I’ll stick with buckets for my 5 gallon batches and my Speidels for my 10 gallon batches.

http://morebeer.com/products/speidel-pl ... 9-gal.html

If you’re cool with plastic, then there ya go. I, however, do not like plastic. But having said that, I don’t understand why they don’t make this in plastic and/or make 6.5-7 gallon better bottles. If I ever broke a carboy, I’d probably think about switching to plastic.