Big IPA Yeast

I started writing a recipe today for an IPA in Beersmith for 5 gallon Batch, I plan to use 14 lbs for Pale 2-Row & 2 lbs of Crystal 20L for my grains. Hops I’m going to use a hefty amount on Centennials and a touch of Magnums. My LHBS only carries dry yeast so I was planning on using US-05. My question is, would I use 1 packet or two packets for this IPA. According to beersmith it’s saying my SG will be 1.013 and my ABV will be approx. 9.2 please help :smiley:

First off, I hope the SG of 1.013 is a misprint.
Secondly, check mr. malty for pitching rates.
Or, beersmith tells you how many packages you need as well in the yeast tab.

Didn’t even catch that, sorry about that. Typing way to fast on my lunch break. Thank you very much for the information

beersmith did tell me I needed two packs, sorry for the dumb question, haven’t been using this program all but a few days.

Actually I would not trust BS for pitching rate. IMO…and this is just me, I would only use 1 pack of us-05.

If you only use one pack you will have fermentation lag. Use 2 packs or do a starter with one, pretty much rule of thumb for anything over 1.050

If you only use one pack you will have fermentation lag. Use 2 packs or do a starter with one, pretty much rule of thumb for anything over 1.050[/quote]

I only use 1 and all my beers do just fine. That is why I said IMO.

here’s the deal, you could probably get by with one but for an extra $2.5 or whatever US-05 runs I would just do two.

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Beersmith takes a few runs to get used to but once you do you’ll love it. Personally it’s up there as one of my favorite things I’ve spent money on for brewing. Haven’t done a kit recipe in well over a year.

If you only use one pack you will have fermentation lag. Use 2 packs or do a starter with one, pretty much rule of thumb for anything over 1.050[/quote]

I only use 1 and all my beers do just fine. That is why I said IMO.[/quote]

I would also choose not to build a starter if using dry yeast. There is a strong message from the yeast community that dry yeast should be rehyrdated, but not put into a starter. The starter will consume some of the internal resources of the yeast and is not necessary for dry versions.

Many others, myself included, have just sprinkled the yeast onto the surface of the wort. I do rehydrate if I need to pour the yeast into a carboy with a narrow neck.

I normally make a starter for all liquid yeasts and when I am repitching from a previous batch.

+1 on no starter for a dry yeast.

Some people (including very respected brewers) swear by rehydrating. But that issue is still very much under debate. I don’t bother with it.

Probably fine either way, but I’d likely go for two packs at that gravity myself.

I always add nutrients to my starters, it builds the cell walls and helps cell reproduction

Don’t make a starter, rehydrate or aerate your wort they’re all a waste of time with dry yeast.

I concur. No starter.
Go ahead and rehydrate if the spirit moves you to do so, but it is also in fact unnecessary.

In my experience, sprinkling in 2 packs should give the ferment a fairly fast and healthy start. And depending on the yeast, don’t be too surprised if it ferments out nearly completely in just a couple days.