Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Big Beers: Keg or Bottle?

Just wondering how you package your big beers. Do you always bottle or can they be kegged and stored/cellared successfully?

I like to bulk age in a keg. I have plenty of kegs to let them sit and age. Do you have enough kegs to let some sit out of rotation for a long period of time?

I bulk age in a secondary for 3 months and then bottle mine in champagne bottles. Easy to stash for a long, long time.

I bottle my bourbon barrel porter every year - just finished my last one from 3 years ago - and it was still great. I like bottles for these types of beers.

I keg everything. You can always dispense into bottles later if you want. But I have plenty of kegs and can serve 4 kegs cold at any one time, so I don’t mind having a big beer around for a year or two.

Good question. Have a couple of those coming up soon and was wondering if
if there would be a difference?

A couple of years ago me and the buds polished off an entire keg of BW on my B-day. No more kegs of BW for me. :roll:

I like to bottle my big beers & sours.

I keg my big beers for a month or so and then when I have the carb level to my liking, I bottle the entire batch and cap with O2 absorbing caps. I hook a Cobra tap on the keg and stick a bottling wand into the tap. Set gas at 4-5 psi and bottle away. I have bottles 4+ years old this way that are still great.

When you do this, do you leave the bottling wand intact? It seems like the beer flowing past the valve at the end of the wand would cause it to foam like crazy. If not, you may have just solved how I’m going to bottle my 13% RIS. I’ve managed to let it age for a full year, and it should be delicious, so I don’t want to waste too much bottling from the keg.

When you do this, do you leave the bottling wand intact? It seems like the beer flowing past the valve at the end of the wand would cause it to foam like crazy. If not, you may have just solved how I’m going to bottle my 13% RIS. I’ve managed to let it age for a full year, and it should be delicious, so I don’t want to waste too much bottling from the keg.[/quote]I will put the video we shot last weekend of me doing this on youtube tonight and then put the link to it here.

I wrap a piece of black tape around the tap/bottling wand interface to make sure no air can get drawn in. Then I keep the cobra tap open and the spring loaded tip on the wand is what controls the flow. With the bottles cold (in cold sanitizer solution), and the regulator at 4-5 psi, I get no foaming at all (less than 1/4"). See video here tonight.

Great! Thanks for the help and the video.

To bottle fill I use a regular racking cane with the tip cut at a 45 degree angle, a #2 drilled stopper, and a plastic cobra tap. The racking cane fits snugly into plastic tap and goes all the way to the bottom of bottle, the stopper gets pushed in the bottle to seal it off. I don’t turn the pressure down, I just start filling and squeeze the stopper to let air escape, this controls the flow of beer. With the bottle being under pressure you get no foam whatsoever.

I definitely bottle if it’s football season. My taps are on the wall next to the big TV and if you’re not paying attention to the number of the trips to the well it can end badly.

I usually have enough kegs to keep in the keg for long periods of time. I hate having a ton of bottles around.
If I need the keg I will bottle the last little bit right from the keg just like muller does. I also have a beer gun I use.

I especially keg sours and bigger beers then go to the bottle (if needed) because getting them to carb is never an issue and dont have to measure all the crap out

so do you guys keep your kegged aging beer chilled or do you leave it at basement room temps when aging?

I have some lagers that I really don’t want to bottle but no room to chill them. They are done lagering and need to be kegged but I am hesitant to just leave them at room temps in the keg after putting a little pressure on them and bleeding out the Oxygen.

[quote=“sethhobrin”]so do you guys keep your kegged aging beer chilled or do you leave it at basement room temps when aging?

I have some lagers that I really don’t want to bottle but no room to chill them. They are done lagering and need to be kegged but I am hesitant to just leave them at room temps in the keg after putting a little pressure on them and bleeding out the Oxygen.[/quote]

I do both depending on room in the kegerator. If there is not room I will carb it up then unhook and throw in the basement cellar. SOmetimes I will not carb it. I will just hit it with a lot of C02 to purge it good and then throw it in the basement.

As cool as you can keep it is the best, slows down the aging process

Great! Thanks for the help and the video.[/quote]Here is the video Mullerbrau bottling 15% beer

Thanks again for posting that. :cheers:

Thanks guys. I think the keg and carbonate and bottle from the keg is what I am going to try.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com