I’m brewing a 1.100 RIS tomorrow, 10.5 G batch. I think I could technically fit all 42# of grain in my 60qt mash tun, but it’s going to be really thick(~0.9 qt/#). Will this create pH problems? I have a pH meter, but don’t want to find out too late. I have another cooler, but no screen or time to throw one together tonight. Could I mash in both , then after my tun drains, pour the second cooler in with the rest of the grain, then sparge from there? Anyone have any other suggestions? I did do a 1.085 RIS last year and that barely fit at 1.1qt/#. Thanks guys :cheers:
Yep, you can do that.
Great, thanks Denny.
You’re efficiency will suffer and you might actually get less sugar out of 42 pounds of grain than you would if you used 38 pounds unless you sparge five or six times.
See this for details:http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2012/1 ... sugar.html
[quote=“WoodlandBrew”]You’re efficiency will suffer and you might actually get less sugar out of 42 pounds of grain than you would if you used 38 pounds unless you sparge five or six times.
See this for details:http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2012/1 ... sugar.html[/quote]
Interesting discussion, but I think that is why splitting the batch for mashing is the route the OP wanted to go; draining the first mash tun, recombining with the contents of the second, draining again and then sparging the full load should not hinder the process too greatly, I would think, as long as there is room in the vessel for the initial load plus sufficient water for the mash. Then sparging can be accomplished in as many batches as needed to collect the needed amount of wort from the combined batch of mashed grain. Right?
Agreed. The first time reading the post I missed that the OP is using two coolers. That is a great idea.
You could also use less grain and make up the difference with DME. Chances are pretty good you wouldn’t notice the difference. I suspect that would be quicker and easier than transfering from one cooler to another.
Interesting article though. Two coolers worked well, but was a PITA, and I collected too much wort, probably should have just boiled longer. My efficiency was right on but I got 11.5 gallons so a lower OG, and against my better judgement, I put 5.75 G in 6 G carboys… massive blowout. I’m just going to buy an 80 qt cooler. I only keep a few #s of DME on hand for starters, so didn’t have enough to make a big difference. Thanks for the tips and two coolers does work well in a pinch.