Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

BIG beer on Saf-05

How many packs would I need to ferment a really big beer? 1.130 or so.

Jamil’s yeast pitching calculator at www.mrmalty.com is your friend.

2nd

I would ask you to rethink what your are tying to do.

I think you will end with a very high gravity, 1.030+. Making a very sweet beer. Not enough alcohol to cut through the sweetness.

Maybe shoot for 1.100. That may finish in the 1.025 range with 10% alcohol content. Even with this approach, you may want to raise the temp of the fermenter after day 3 to help the yeast out.

Wow. Easy peasy. :cheers:

Been there, done that. I’m looking to brew a BIG barleywine that will age a looong time.
I’m thinking about Saf-05 since it’s fairly clean and I’ve read posts of brewers getting 90% fermentation (I recently got over 84%) and up to 17% alcohal with it.

You could add more yeast to fermentationas etOH levels rise to keep a healthy population in there.

Aerate the bejeebus out of it and then again up to 24 hours later.
And watch the fermentation temperature closely. It will get HOT. Do you have a way to control the fermentation temperature?

[quote=“Rookie L A”][quote=“Nighthawk”]Maybe shoot for 1.100. That may finish in the 1.025 range with 10% alcohol content. Even with this approach, you may want to raise the temp of the fermenter after day 3 to help the yeast out.[/quote]Been there, done that. I’m looking to brew a BIG barleywine that will age a looong time.
I’m thinking about Saf-05 since it’s fairly clean and I’ve read posts of brewers getting 90% fermentation (I recently got over 84%) and up to 17% alcohal with it.[/quote]

[quote=“TG”]Aerate the bejeebus out of it and then again up to 24 hours later.
And watch the fermentation temperature closely. It will get HOT. Do you have a way to control the fermentation temperature?[/quote]

I read on another thread that it’s not required that you aerate the wort with dry yeast, although I would on something this big.
I planned to do this in winter when my brew room is in the low 60s. I’d pitch the yeast once the wort was 60 or a little less.

I wouldn’t agree with that.

I made a 20 gallon batch of pale ale first and then a couple weeks later, I put my 1.135 barleywine on the US-05 yeast cakes and fermented it to 1.021. That was a couple years ago and I just took first place with it (MI Beer Cup). I made enough to keep around for many years to come.

Care to share your recipe?

[quote=“TG”]Care to share your recipe?[/quote]It was Denny Conn’s Old Stoner Barleywine. I did not adjust the grain bill for my efficiency so I over shot what it called for.

Congrats, Greg. That recipe is surely a simple one that seems in keeping with a lot of what others have been preaching this summer!

Original post - US-05 is a great yeast, but with that big OG, I would make sure you rehydrate and aerate the wort big time to give it the best chance to finish that feast!

:cheers:

Look up yeast starters. You can buy and pitch multiple packs, but why waste the money?
In my recent experience, you can quadruple the size of your US-05 yeast cake, and be certain you have a vibrant, activated culture just roaring to eat some malt with a 2-stage starter, only takes about 3 days to be ready to pitch.

ROT, you’re not supposed to make starters with dry yeast. S05 is so cheap and has so many cells it’s not necessary. Plus making a starter would use up the nutrients that is included in the dry yeast. Unless maybe you’re making a 50 gallon batch, in which case I’d make a 5 gallon beer and use the yeast cake

+1 to mrmalty

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com